web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Devil in a Red Dress

I didn't care that the registry nurse was wearing a red dress with burgundy pants, feminine, silly jewelry, heavy perfume or bows on his shoes. I did care that he was a jerk. I'm easy going and generally get along with everybody. Within 10 minutes of the start of the shift, we got into a fight.

I assigned him a discharge. After looking at the chart, he said that the doctor didn't completely fill out one of the forms. Thinking that he was asking me what to do, I said that he could either finish filling out the form or call the doctor and ask him to do it. In a loud obstinate voice, he said, "I won't do it." Thinking that he didn't want my help, I said that I wasn't telling him what to do and that he could just handle it himself. His response was to yell, "I won't do it." I asked what he meant by that and he just yelled again, "I won't do it."

The day shift nurse cursed, grabbed the chart, filled out the form and discharged the patient herself. For the rest of the evening, whenever he figured that I was within earshot, he would say, "I'm never working here again. All I needed was guidance." I ignored him, but he doesn't have to worry about working here ever again. He won't be asked. Trust me.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 9/14/2005 10:27:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow! I don't think he needed guidance, I think he needed a psych eval. Isn't there some kind of screening process at the registries? Don't they have a dress code? How did he make it through school? I know all of our instructors would have failed him.

 
At 9/14/2005 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I think that he works for registry because no hospital will hire him. He's not from our country. You're right that he never would have passed nursing school here.

Amazingly enough, he did meet our dress code. There is no rule that our clothes match our gender or be color coordinated. I really didn't care about his cross-gender problem. If he had behaved rationally, we would have gotten along just fine.

 
At 9/14/2005 02:26:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

The devil made him buy that dress! :)

 
At 9/14/2005 03:24:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

OK, this story is just NASTY!

 
At 9/14/2005 04:11:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, for some reason I thought that the devil would have better taste than that. His outfit was just so tacky. Everyone knows that red and burgundy clash.

Michelle, it was nasty. It won't be repeated either.

 
At 5/19/2009 12:09:00 AM, Blogger Sir Paul said...

Yep, you are certainly living in California.
Where was that "fellow" from by the way?
GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home