web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Bloody Bookends

The shift ended the same way that it started, with a crazy man leaking blood from his penis and yelling his head off. They were different patients, but what they had in common was dementia and a catheter. Why is it that when people are confused, the first thing they do is pull all of their clothes off and start yanking on their catheters? It must hurt. Even despite the pain and blood flowing everywhere, they will continue to yank away. I don't get it.

The problem was solved the same way. Drugs, restraints and then tighter restraints. One of the patients was yelling in Spanish, so we have no idea what was in his mind. The other patient believed that he was in a gas station and we were holding him hostage. Asking him to look around the room at the other beds and read our nurse badges had no effect. To him it looked like a gas station and he couldn't understand why the old hags (his name for us) wouldn't let him leave. Sometimes, I wish that I could say, GO AHEAD... LEAVE...GET.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 12/13/2005 01:30:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Oh, ugh, catheters are traumatic enough for me to think about--but yanking one out makes me queasy.

 
At 12/13/2005 06:03:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Me too, but it's amazing how many people try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home