web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

60 Years of Marriage

This is my mother at the age of eighteen.


My mother was a senior in high school in Pomona when she was asked to pose on the wing of a bomber at nearby Ontario Army-Air Base. The picture was published in a local newspaper in 1944.


This is my father, the dashing fighter pilot, posed on the wing of his fighter jet.


My father grew up in a small agricultural town in Idaho. His father was either the town judge, district attorney or just a practicing attorney depending on how the last election went. Dad was the seventh of eight children and was born when his mom, a former teacher was 45.

Dad wanted to go to college, but it was the Great Depression and financially that was out of the question, so he ended up joining the military. It was his only real hope for having any kind of a decent future.

He was on a ship off the Aleutian Islands when Pearl Harbor was bombed. A few months later, he became a fighter pilot. After finishing his tour of duty in the Pacific, he was transferred to Ontario Army-Air Base in California. It is there that he met my mother at a dance.

My mother's parent's divorced when she was a baby. She and her mom, who was only 19 at the time, lived with mom's grandparents on their orange ranch in Pomona. Eventually her mom remarried and they moved to Big Bear, where they owned the only grocery store in town. After a Safeway came to town, their store went out of business and they moved back to Pomona.

Mom was interested in becoming an actress or fashion designer, but meeting my father at the age of 18 changed all of that.

Mom was the prettiest girl dad had ever seen. She looked nothing like the Idaho farm girls back home. He swept her off her feet and a year later they were married.



September 15, 1945

(I got married in the same dress, but it didn't bring me the same luck.)

My father was a career Air Force pilot and flew in two more wars. Life wasn't always easy. My parents had three children and moved frequently. My dad was often gone for long periods of time, so my mom had to be strong to keep things as normal as possible for the kids. It takes a very special woman to be a military wife. My mom is not only beautiful and sweet natured, but strong as steel.

After my dad retired, he went to law school and became a lawyer like his dad. Eventually, I followed in my dad's footsteps and became a third generation lawyer.

I admire my parent's commitment to each other. Sixty years of marriage is quite an accomplishment. And, my parents still cuddle and talk baby talk to each other when they think that no one is looking.





~ Home

14 Comments:

At 9/15/2005 09:09:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

OK, was I the only one practically in tears by this one?! What a great story! Joujeux Anniversaire!

 
At 9/15/2005 02:40:00 PM, Blogger Irene said...

This was a beautiful tribute to your parents. Love the pictures. You look like your mother and that's a compliment! And your Dad was (and still is?) very handsome. Your very fortunate to still have your parents around. Congratulations to them.

 
At 9/15/2005 03:28:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

That is fantastic. Your parents look like movie stars!

 
At 9/15/2005 09:41:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Sarah, Irene and Brandy. I do appreciate that. :)

 
At 9/15/2005 11:25:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

You do look very much like your mother!
Nice post. :-)

 
At 9/15/2005 11:36:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I always liked your parents, although your dad occasionally scared me a little. I wish them all the best. Great post.

 
At 9/16/2005 11:10:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Karen and Dave.

Dave, my dad has mellowed quite a bit, but he still does scare people sometimes. He can't quite lose that tough military demeanor. But I know what he's really like inside, a marshmallow, because he's sweet and soft.

Because they know I read your blog, every time I see them, they want to know what's new with you.

 
At 9/16/2005 02:22:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Wow 60 years, such a rarity in this day and age...just fabulous, congratulations to them :)
And yes, your the image of your mother!

 
At 9/16/2005 07:59:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Michelle.

 
At 9/20/2005 01:38:00 PM, Blogger gemmak said...

Wow...that really is something .....partivcularly to one such as myself, twice divorced.....and what a great looking couple. Congratulations to them both :o)

 
At 9/20/2005 02:44:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Gemmak.

 
At 9/20/2005 05:11:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Beautiful post!
Congrats to your parents, that is such an awesome achievement. Still in love after all these years.

Your dad looks a bit like Christian Slater! I think you look a lot like him, actually. And your Mom is gorgeous. No wonder you're so pretty!

Oh, and I sighed at the mention of an orange ranch in Pomona. Those were the days...

 
At 9/20/2005 08:08:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Mary. I think that I look much more like my father than my mother. I got my blonde hair from him.

I wish that my family still had the orange ranch. It would be worth a fortune today, but it was lost near the end of the Depression.

 
At 9/21/2005 05:24:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I think you look more like your Mom:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home