web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Creative Diagnosing

Don't get me wrong, my mother and I get along great, but I really wished that when the phone rang, I hadn't answered it. It was my mother. The problem was that I didn't want her to know that I'm sick. She had been hoping to talk to my machine and so was surprised that I wasn't at work. Of course she wanted to know what was wrong and lacking the time to think of a lie, I said that I wasn't feeling well.

I knew where this conversation was going to go. So, what's the first thing that came to her mind? I bet you could never guess. She was worried that I may have eaten a rabid Filipino dog. (She thinks that I might eat a dog?!!!) The next illness on her list was West Nile virus. The conversation continued along these lines.

Lacking originality, I was thinking that I had some kind of flu-like illness. I have to give my mother credit for creativity, though. Where does she come up with this stuff?


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 9/14/2005 11:32:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

You eat Sky Flakes!

 
At 9/14/2005 11:50:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dog was not on the list of ingredients for Sky Flakes (it's just a cracker). Sometimes, coworkers bring packages of treats from their native country that have no English labels at all. That makes me a little nervous, but doesn't stop me from tryng it, as long as it doesn't appear to be of animal origin.

 
At 9/15/2005 09:18:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Sky flakes are harmless, but the can is cool for storing things in the garage with it's retro look. I don't think phillipinos eat dog. I have a friend who grew up in Korea. She said she had a dog as a child that died and the grandparents ate it. Apparently black dog is preferred over other colors so yours are safe. I have to go now and put up razor ribbon around my fences.

 
At 9/15/2005 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Sarah, the LA Times a few days ago printed an article about a Filipino family who were all hospitalized because they ate the neighbors rabid dog. This happened in the Philippines, not here.

I didn't know that Filipinos ate dog either. Maybe it's just the impoverished ones who do or maybe it's just not something our coworkers like to talk about.

I'll help you with the razor ribbon. Perhaps, you would also like to plant some land mines in the back alley.

 
At 9/15/2005 03:29:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I thought Filipinos at a lot of rice, but what do I know.

 
At 9/15/2005 04:03:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Brandy, Filipinos practically live on rice, but they like to top it with fish or unidentifiable meat. They think it's very strange that I always eat bread and sometimes put avocado on it. Ewww.

 
At 9/16/2005 02:26:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I knew they ate dogs, it's just that it's illegal here so i assumed it would be illegal there too....eeeeewwwwwwwwww, how gross.
You don't have a "barking" cough do you?!!

Get well soon, remember what i said about sickies!

 
At 9/16/2005 10:29:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

As a matter of fact, I did have a barking cough. You don't suppose...No. Never mind. I don't want to think about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home