web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

A Blonde In Bed

My patient was anxious and depressed. He had been under the care of various psychiatrists for many years and none had helped him. Recently, he saw a new doctor who told him that if he had been seeing psychiatrists for 37 years without results, what could she do for him in the next 20 minutes.

That comment pushed him over the edge and he couldn't stop ruminating about it. He figured that comment meant there was no hope for him. I can understand why the doctor was thinking that, but it surprises me that she actually said it, since a major part of what a doctor sells is hope.

When I saw him for the first time, he was shaking violently from nervousness. He felt compelled to begin telling me his life story including every bad thing that had ever happened to him. Not having the time or the skills to deal with this I began to plot my escape. Interrupting him, I told him that he needed something for anxiety and to give me a minute to call a doctor to get him something. My first call was to a social worker to plead with her to come right away. Next, I got an order and brought him something special to relax him.

Thank goodness for social workers. She took over and spent over 2 hours in his room. How they can stand to listen to that stuff day after day, I'll never understand. I much prefer pus, open oozing wounds and blood.

She did a good job too. I checked on him after she left and found a young, pretty blonde lying in bed with him. I don't know who she was or what she was doing there, but he sure looked happy. After she left, he told me that he was impotent. Why he felt I needed to know that I'll never understand. I wonder if he rides that emotional roller coaster every day?


~ Home

12 Comments:

At 10/08/2005 11:52:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I know just how you feel. They will be half way through their story and I catch myself thinking, did I close the garage door, are the automatic lights plugged in for the dogs, oh I'm out of milk I have to stop at the store and get...

 
At 10/08/2005 12:54:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Sarah, this is probably too far back for you to notice, but in your dog and pie pictures, Dave requested a recipe for noodle kugel. Is this something that you make and can share the recipe for?

 
At 10/09/2005 12:42:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Sorry, I missed it. I don't usually make kugel but it's basically a custard base with noodles added, so you need to increase the liquid (milk, fruit juice) to accomodate the noodles soaking it up. When I make variations on custards I usually add fruit. Apples, raisins and cinnamon work well, as do cranberries, cherries, and stone fruits. With dried fruits I always rehydrate them first in a warm fruit juice then throw in that liquid as well. I don't use a specific recipe, he can use any custard recipe as the base, just make sure to cook it in a water bath between 325 and 350 degrees. Any hotter and you destroy the consistency of the custard. The water bath will protect the edges aa well as providing humidity to protect the top from cracking, (like with a cheesecake, which should also be cooked in a water bath). Just call me when it's ready and I will be right over.

 
At 10/10/2005 11:34:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Thanks, Sarah! That's pretty close to how I already make it. I usually use pineapple, raisins and cinnamon. The main difference is that I don't use a water bath. I like a chewy top, but sometimes I put raisin bran on half of it so it's not so crispy for others.

I'm thinking my next batch (sometime in the next few days), I'll try putting a little nutmeg, cream cheese and other ingredients in different corners to see how it comes out. There's some flavor missing from what I remember as a kid.

mmmm... cheesecake!

 
At 10/11/2005 12:49:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hmmm, pineapple cheesecake. Why does that ring a bell? ;)

 
At 10/11/2005 01:30:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I give up. Is that something I should be remembering? (Quick, where's the Alzheimer's medicine?)

 
At 10/11/2005 02:00:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Cream cheese would be yummy, or mascarpone, even ricotta in an emergency. I'm making butternut squash cheesecake for seder, mmm.

 
At 10/12/2005 12:58:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, aricept has helped many people with memory loss. :)

Sarah, are you out of your mind? :)

 
At 10/12/2005 09:28:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oh definently, but that's besides the point...Have you ever had butternut squash cheesecake? Well obviously not. Think pumpkin cheesecake only with more depth. Yeah, I know I could just as easily have made chocolate but it's supposed to be fall now. My first choice would be lime cheesecake but summer is supposed to be over and no one else gets as excited about lime as I do:(

 
At 10/13/2005 09:24:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

FYI, the butternut squash cheesecake was a big hit at dinner last night:)

 
At 10/13/2005 11:37:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Was that after the drugs kicked in? :)

 
At 10/13/2005 06:28:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Everyone likes it, and I bet you would too. I've seen some of that phillipino stuff you eat. You should be happy to have some identifiable food on your plate for a change.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home