web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Mechanically Challenged

One of our patients went without oxygen for some time because the respiratory therapist forgot to hook the patient back up to oxygen after a treatment. That didn't surprise me; there's nothing unusual about that. What I can't understand is why my coworker took so long to figure out why the patient was blue. She even tried flushing the oxygen tubing (don't ask). Finally, in a flash of brilliance, she noticed that the oxygen wasn't connected.


A few of our IV poles have electrical outlets attached to them which is the greatest idea. In an old hospital like ours, there are never enough outlets. Who knew back when the hospital was built that someday we would have all of this equipment and that all of it would have to be plugged in? The existing four plugs per bed is a joke.

So, although the electrical outlet strip is a great idea, I've noticed one problem. My coworkers keep plugging the strip's electrical cord into its own outlets. With nothing plugged into the wall, none of the equipment works or the re-chargeable batteries die quickly. If nothing is plugged into the wall, where do they think the power is coming from? Sometimes I wonder about my coworkers.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 4/12/2006 07:50:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

That's funny.I actually think I've done that a time or two at home.

 
At 4/13/2006 05:00:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thank god they have you :o)

 
At 4/13/2006 07:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

goodness gracious. You should put a little sticky on the plug for the surge protector that says "no no". Maybe it would ring a bell when someone tried to plug it into itself.

it's all up to you, evidently. lol :)

 
At 4/14/2006 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, it will be our little secret. :)

Michelle, if they need to rely upon me for help with mechanical things, then we're in bigger trouble than I thought.

Leesa, we might go deaf from the bell ringing all of the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home