web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Dirt, Gasoline and Saw Dust Therapy



This was this evening's haul, a 7 pound dark chocolate cake and See's chocolates. This is also what I had for dinner tonight. It could be a coincidence, but this might be a factor in why I feel so sick right now.
_______________________________

The patient has pressure ulcers on his bottom which requires a fairly complicated dressing change. He was not happy about our choice of ointments and dressing materials. He wanted me to apply dirt, gasoline and sawdust to his butt. I must have looked shocked, so he explained. Years ago, he had a chain saw injury and instead of going to the hospital, he mixed together dirt, gasoline and saw dust and packed his wound with it. The bleeding stopped and the wound healed nicely.

I'm not sure if he discovered a miracle cure or if he's a lunatic. Too bad that I couldn't do what he wanted, but I would prefer to keep my job.

_______________________________

Another unusual patient said that she was allergic to bananas, spinach and peas. Usually, people with allergies have reactions like swelling or rashes. Her reaction, so she said, was A fib (atrial fibrillation). I can't figure out how she came to this conclusion. A fib can't be felt. The only way she could know this would be if she had an EKG at home and checked her heart rhythm after eating various foods. I seriously doubt that she has done this.

Her chart said that she has A fib due to damage to her heart from open heart surgery. She can probably eat all of the bananas, spinach and peas that she wants, but when beliefs conflict with science, beliefs sometimes win.

______________________________

Another delightful patient had gangrene. Once that smell gets in my nose, it takes a long time to get rid of it. The air is filled with the scent of orange blossoms now, but when I came out of work, all I could smell was gangrene. That's still what I smell. I'm going to have to snort some water tonight to try and wash my sinuses.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 4/08/2006 01:34:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

you should hear some of the treatments that people come up with here for different ailments...they must be left over from the Renaisance period?

I have never had the pleasure of smelling gangrene, I think I will pass that one up.

 
At 4/08/2006 04:19:00 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

1. Nice blog. Luv the template!

2. Came here from Leesa's.

3. Great supper idea. I wonder if I can get my hubby to by a chocolate cake for dinner tonight. I bet not.

4. Your dogs are gorgeous.

5. Your sidebar shows up at the bottom of the page for me. I'm using IE, whatever the latest edition is.

6. I love the doggy watercolor by your signature line. SOOOO cool!

 
At 4/08/2006 09:59:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, it smells like dirt, mold and rotting meat. Do you have a new blog yet? All I can find is a brief profile.

Jayleigh, thanks for visiting. Nice blog you have too. I'm glad that you're feeling better. After my unusual dinner last night, roast beef and mashed potatoes sounds good to me too. My blog was designed by Leesa, so she gets all of the credit. Leesa also told me how to fix the sidebar problem. Thanks for poiting out the problem.

 
At 4/08/2006 02:41:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4/08/2006 05:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol... jayleigh used to have a template designed by me, too.. then she moved to wordpress. :)

Gosh... I don't want to even know what gangrene smells like. My hubby and FIL were talking about the smell of dead bodies today... you know.. just for fun.. ergh. I can't imagine. The worst smell I've run across was the formaldehyde (sp?) on my fetal pig in nursing school.

 
At 4/08/2006 09:46:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, I read your entire blog and was impressed. I tried to leave a comment, but it wouldn't let me. It said something about me being a nonmember or not authorized.

Leesa, do you think that you will eventually go into the design business again? Not that I want any changes. My template is perfect.

I once took a fetal pig home with me to do some homework and the cats got it and attacked it. What a gruesome mess.

 
At 4/09/2006 01:29:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

Hi Melissa... I have to send you an e mail. I don't have your e mail. You can send me one w/ yours to mothertcuker@yahoo.co.uk if you like and I will add you to the members. I would be happy to add you :o) I'm just being selective at the moment...

 
At 11/21/2009 09:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read that post. Thank author for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home