web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Early Old Age



The patient is an elderly, emaciated woman with thin, crepey skin hanging loosely from her tiny bird-like bones. Her fragile, tissue paper skin tears with just the slightest friction and despite our best efforts, she got a pressure sore from her hip bones digging into the mattress.

This is nothing unusual, nor is the fact that we are treating her for a broken hip. What is unusual is how she broke her hip. She was riding her dirt-bike down a mountain and crashed. When I first saw her, I thought for sure that she was in her 70's, but the chart listed her age as mid-50's. It just had to be a mistake, but it wasn't.

She has anorexia nervosa, is severely malnourished and has spent a lifetime in the sun. Taken together, those factors have given her the appearance of a fragile, wizened, cachetic old lady. After looking at her, I've suddenly lost interest in being super skinny. There's something to be said for a little well-placed body fat.


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 4/03/2006 03:25:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Very sad. I look at women here who continually sun themselves. Their skin is brown and wrinkly..they too look 20 years older than they are...yuk :(

 
At 4/03/2006 08:03:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I think I am really starting to love your blog. Nice post.

BTW, are you sure that is poop in that last post? It looks like barbecued sausage. :)

 
At 4/03/2006 10:55:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

HP, I still battle with my irrational desire to be reed thin. No matter how thin I am, I want to be 5 pounds lighter.

Michelle, living in a sunny climate does have it's challenges. Sun feels so good, but it's so bad.

Gary, thanks. Would you like me to try and get you some of that special sausage? :)

 
At 4/03/2006 12:19:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

HP, your blog has disappeared. Did you change addresses or is my blogroll acting up?

 
At 4/03/2006 04:17:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

http://safooma.blogspot.com/

 
At 4/03/2006 05:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're still eating that ice cream cake, aren't you. :)

 
At 4/03/2006 07:52:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Leesa, I broke my cardinal rule and got on the scale today. There will be no more ice cream cake for me. :(

 
At 4/03/2006 11:03:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

You are completely correct. A bit of a fat polster is never a bad thing to have ;-)

 
At 4/04/2006 12:22:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

It was a major mistake getting on the scale. I only got on because I was so sure that I was thin. My stomach is flat and waist small, how can I be 5 pounds heavier?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home