web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Hungry Fish, Twig Soup and Cake


Koi don't eat when the water is cold. My fish haven't been fed since last Fall sometime. Today I noticed the fish swimming at the surface with their mouths open. They looked hungry, so I tossed them some food. They went after it like piranhas. Poor things, they were starving. How long has this been going on? Just one more thing to feel guilty about.

We ordered Thai at work and I got the lemon Pledge and twig soup. They had some other name for it, but that's what it tasted like. The bottom two inches of the container was just leaves and twigs, like lemon grass, ginger root and kaffir lime leaves. It was so fibrous it would probably clog a garbage disposal.

After that, though, the dessert gods were smiling on me. I needed to get something from the freezer and found a huge ice cream cake from Cold Stone Creamery. It was chocolate-chocolate chip ice cream, chocolate cake and chocolate ganache icing. I didn't know who it belonged to, who else had been feeding off of it or anything else about it's history and I didn't care. Drool was practically running down my chin. All I had was a plastic knife and I hacked away at it until a big chunk came loose.

Imagine, for once a real dessert that doesn't involve sticky rice balls, shrimp flavored cookies or any other unnatural substances. Will wonders never cease?

(Hey Blogger took my pictures!)


~ Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home