web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Arrow Space And Virtual Beds

One of my patients works in the arrow space industry, at least that's what his chart said. I suppose that it's possible his job involves shooting arrows into space, but I think it's more likely that he works in aerospace.

We had an empty bed that we could not use tonight. There was nothing wrong with the bed, the room or the roommate. The problem was that according to the computer, there was no bed there, therefore the bed did not exist. They wanted to give us an admission which we had to refuse because no one knew how to tell the computer that there really was a bed there. I know, it's sad, it just about broke my heart to turn down an admission.

If the problem had been the reverse and we had a virtual bed on the computer, but no real bed, I bet we would have gotten the patient. The patient could have slept in the virtual bed, i.e., the floor.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 3/30/2006 03:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm - can't you just get the computer to inventory virtual O2 flowmeters?

 
At 3/30/2006 06:45:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

What a great idea and then the patients can breathe virtual oxygen. :)

Several more flowmeters have disappeared. Right now Dave's idea of attaching a baseball bat with bells is sounding good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home