web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Mistaken Beliefs

I overheard a discussion between two student nurses and one was talking about why she decided to become a nurse. She had been working in an office for years and no one ever said thank you to her at the end of the day. I was waiting to hear what that had to do with becoming a nurse, but that was it. I'm guessing that she thinks that someone says thank you to nurses at the end of the day. How funny is that?
___________________________________

Many of our knee replacement patients get polar care, which is a type of cold pack treatment that keeps their knee cold after surgery to reduce swelling and pain. A few days before surgery, patients go to the clinic, pay a deposit and take the machine home with them with the plan that they will bring it to the hospital with them on the day of surgery.

It is amazing how many people forget to bring the polar care with them to the hospital. It's even more amazing how many patients say that this is our fault. They will say that no one told them that they needed to bring the polar care to the hospital with them.

Even if no one told them, how did they think that the polar care was going to get from their house to the hospital if they didn't bring it?

_______________________________________

One of the nurses got hit in the head with a phone by a patient who believed that she was being held prisoner and that the nurse was planning to kill her. (Morphine delirium is not pretty.) She also called 911. The 911 operator then called us and asked us to check on the patient. This happens fairly frequently. Little do patients know that 911 operators are in on the conspiracy to hold patients against their will.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 3/25/2006 01:31:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I hope the nurse is ok. LOL@cbeing held prisoner...too funny, at least your job will never be boring!

 
At 3/25/2006 05:35:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

This is my first time here. I never realized how much weird stuff happens in hospitals. And how much you have to put up with.

 
At 3/25/2006 11:16:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Grin - so they think they are getting the polar care for pure home enjoyment? ~giggle~

 
At 3/26/2006 07:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it.

You definitely work hard!

 
At 3/26/2006 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, the nurse is fine. It was more annoying than anything.

Gary, we have the same hobbies. I used to live for my garden back when I didn't have the work thing to deal with. Great blog.

Karen, I guess it's possible that some patients believe that the polar care is only for home enjoyment. Maybe we need to attach a big label on the containers telling people to bring it to the hospital. :)

Leighann, thanks. I also enjoyed reading your blog. Funny cheesecake story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home