web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A Silver Lining

This morning I had to have a little something frozen off of my face. Sun and fair skin is not a good combination. When I got home, there were two urgent messages from my parents. This was unusual, my parents rarely call in between visits.

It turned out that they wanted to know if I was okay. My parents didn't know about Murphy yet, but my mother just knew that something was terribly wrong. This isn't the first time this has happened. My mother is psychic. I don't believe in psychics, but I can't deny her gifts. She was a little late, though. Her premonition was at 11 am and I got the news at 9 am.

I was crying so hard that I couldn't talk. Soon, without warning, my father showed up at my door. We sat on the patio together, drank a beer and cried together. This is only the second time I've seen my father cry. The other time was when my dog Chaucer died and again, we sat on the patio and cried in our beers.

I have such amazing parents. I also so appreciate the support that I'm getting from my blogging family. Knowing that people care has been such an enormous comfort to me.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 3/23/2006 01:51:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Indeed, you have beautiful parents, i'm so glad they can be there for you :o)

 
At 3/24/2006 12:46:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

HP, thank you so much for sharing. I'm so crazy about my dogs that I sometime wonder about my sanity. It's a relief to know that others feel the same as me.

Michelle, I have many things to be greatful for.

 
At 3/24/2006 11:44:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

That's so scary. Getting older really sucks. But it's better, as they say, than the alternative. Take good care of yourself.

 
At 3/25/2006 12:42:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Getting older does suck, but I'm not sure that it always beats the alternative. In my line of work, I have plenty of opportunity to ponder that issue.

I am trying to force myself to eat and take care of myself. Thanks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home