web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Placerita Walk

Murphy and I went to Placerita Canyon. It used to be my favorite spot in the Santa Clarita Valley, but then a brush fire burned through there a year or two ago and I hadn't been back since. I didn't want to see the fire damage.

I decided to go back and it wasn't as bad as I expected. The oak trees were mostly untouched and the grass was as beautiful as ever. It's hard to believe that this is only about 5 minutes from my house.


That's Murph walking down the trail. He's so good that he can pass other people and dogs and not even acknowledge their presence.


Placerita is where gold was first discovered in California. Some of the miner's cabins still survive. Here, only the fireplace is still standing.


Murph's favorite activity is lying down in the creek. In the sandy bottom, there were tiny glints of glittering gold. I tried picking up some flecks, but they were too tiny to handle. It's illegal to pan for gold and I doubt that there is enough there to make it worthwhile, anyway.


This is what a happy dog looks like.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 3/23/2006 04:38:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Indeed Murphy does look like a pretty happy boy, that's a Murph smile if I ever saw one!

 
At 3/23/2006 05:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Isn't it wierd how goldens can smile? :) {hugs}

 
At 3/23/2006 10:21:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Aw - you can tell he is just enjoying his day!

 
At 3/24/2006 12:52:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Sarah, when Murphy is hot, he smiles all of the time.

Me, I think that Goldens are so popular in ads because of their beautiful smiles.The corners of their mouths curve up nicely. Thanks for the hug. :)

Karen, does Toby enjoy basking in water too?

 
At 3/25/2006 12:32:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm sorry that your creek is so badly abused. That sounds like our Los Angeles River. Placerita is, I think, a state park and is protected.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home