web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Procedure

They said that the bowel prep would be the worst part of the colonoscopy. It was bad, but I was prepared. For a day and a half, I had nothing but clear liquids. I was hungry, dizzy and reminded why diets don't work. No one can be that hungry for very long before they fall off the wagon and binge.



I was prepared for the salty elixirs, the pills and the quarts of water that had to be drunk. I knew that my day would revolve around the toilet. Everything was going according to plan. What I did not anticipate was the nausea. I don't know about you, but for me, nausea is just about the worst thing. The unending hours of nausea wore me down. I also didn't know that the bowel flushing would last all night. Unfortunately, a couple of times, I failed to wake when nature called. The next morning, even though I was still so sick, I had to wash linens. It was an ugly night.



For the actual procedure, I was a nervous wreck. When they wheeled me into the procedure room, I suddenly felt claustrophobic and wanted to jump off the table and run. But knowing that I could run and they wouldn't be able to stop me, calmed me down. I just needed to know that there was an escape route in order to feel better. When the nurse came at me with the demerol, the panic resumed. My escape route was about to close. While alert and oriented, they could not stop me if I bolted. If drugged, they could hold me down, drug me some more and force me into submission. I'm a nurse, I know how these things work.



Seventy-five milligrams of demerol was put into my IV line. It hit me like a ton of bricks. The room started spinning, my skin flushed hot and I felt out of control. A few seconds later, I went limp. The battle was over. I was now all theirs.



The doctor did not have an easy time. Part way through the procedure, he had to start over with a different scope. I'm a pediatric size. Many years ago, I had some fibroids removed from my uterus, which resulted in scar tissue. The doctor had a terrible time getting past the adhesions. They kept flipping me from side to side and someone kept digging their hand into my abdomen, while the doctor kept inflating me with air like I was a balloon. It was painful, I was starting to moan, so an additional 75 milligrams of demerol plus 4 milligrams of vistaril was given.



The procedure usually takes between 30 and 45 minutes. They worked on me for an hour and fifteen minutes. It was worth it, though. They found a small polyp that could have turned into colon cancer someday. It was removed. As awful as the procedure was, it sure beat having cancer surgery and chemo some day in the future.



Lindsay picked me up after the procedure and it being dinner time, we went out to dinner. I had not had any solid food in almost 48 hours and was starving. I just picked at my dinner, though. My stomach hurt and I was still dizzy and nauseated. After dinner, I wobbled to the restroom. I had just gotten inside the stall when all hell broke loose. I vomited all over the floor and the seat of the toilet. Feeling guilty, I tried to wipe it up with paper towels.



Feeling better, I wanted to stop at Target on the way home to buy some batteries. As I walked out the front door, I became dizzy and flushed again. There was a bench next to the door. I sat down and spent a couple of minutes vomiting in plastic shopping bags. Lindsay went back in the store to keep me well supplied with bags. I suppose it could be embarrassing to vomit next to the entrance of a busy store, but I was too sick to care.



On the drive home, I threw up again in the Target bags. I don't know how people get hooked on drugs like demerol. It just makes me puke my guts out. Demerol was by far the worst part of the colonoscopy. In five years, I get to go back and do the same thing again and I'm glad. The colonoscopy wasn't fun, but it sure beats colon cancer.


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 12/11/2008 08:06:00 AM, Blogger Keeneye said...

Oh God. What a horrible day.

Why did you get a colonoscopy? Does colon cancer run in your family, or did a doctor recommend it?

 
At 12/11/2008 10:11:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. Sounds like you had a really tough time of it. My procedure was much smoother. The day before, all I had was jello and juice, but I was mentally prepared for it so I just wasn't all that hungry. No nausea or accidents at all. The last thing I remember after they gave me the iv happy juice was saying to the doctor, "Make sure you're not overcome by my beauty back there." He laughed, and I passed out. Afterwards, I was starving, so we went to Ihop and I had pancakes.

 
At 12/11/2008 08:18:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Sounds really bad. Mine went very well, little nausea and no accidents. I went in the next morning and they knocked me out cold. When I woke up they gave me a report with color photos and sent me on my way.

 
At 12/11/2008 09:34:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Sorry to hear your colonoscopy was such a pain in the butt. When Connie had hers they gave her some kind of drug that wiped her memory of the procedure. Were you offered that?

I don't know about Melissa's case, but when you reach a certain age, Keeneye, the doctor recommends the procedure as a routine preventive check. You're still too young, K. Lucky you. :)

 
At 12/12/2008 06:02:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

One side benefit is that I lost almost 10 pounds instantly.

For once I could honestly claim that I was not full of s**t.

 
At 12/13/2008 03:59:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Keeneye, I have a family history of colon cancer, plus, I'm at that age when a screening needs to be done. The doctor has been nagging me for the past two years.

Connie, that's a funny line. I tend to lose my sense of humor when stressed like that.

Alan, I have color photos also. I'm not really sure why they hand them out. I saw all I wanted to see on the monitor during the procedure.

You lost ten pounds during the prep? I lost two pounds, but gained it all back once I could keep water down. Perhaps you were a little dehydrated, rather than full of it. :)

Dave, they gave me versaid, which causes amnesia. It doesn't always work, plus, I tried very hard not to forget. I'm pretty sure that the procedure causes pain to everyone, how could it not? I think that most people just don't remember. It's probably for the best.

 
At 12/14/2008 05:01:00 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Melissa,

Sorry you had so much of a problem. Nothing to look forward to for the next one, eh?

I had a colonoscopy after a bout (and a rather scary bout, it was)with diverticulitis. They rolled me in, gave me some pentathol, I believe, and rolled me out. No complications, no nausea, nada.

However, in diagnosing the problem, they had to find out if I had any bleeding from my stomach. Having a tube shoved down my nose into my stomach was very, very unpleasant. It was even worse because they shoved it into my lung on the first try, and had to pull it out and try again.

 
At 12/21/2008 12:31:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Bulldog, given a choice, I would choose a tube up the bottom rather than down the throat. I can't imagine having an NG tube going in the lungs.

 
At 12/28/2008 08:34:00 AM, Blogger shrimplate said...

We use demerol and Versed here. The demerol burns.

The pictures are pretty cool, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home