web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Nature Woman Faces Nature

My shift was mostly uneventful. Well, there was the crazy patient who said that I looked like "nature." When she looked at me, she saw mountains, trees and, well, nature. Of course, I must hear that all of the time, she said. She was shocked to hear that she was the first to mention it. She figured that people must think it all the time, but just not say anything. I thanked her for her complement. She was sweet, but as I said, crazy. Do you ever get odd complements?


There was only one real problem, which occurred during the last hour of my shift. Sylmar caught on fire. The news was on all of the patient's TV's. I happened to glance out a window and gasped when I saw the flames. Of course, the first thing I did was grab my camera and take a picture from a patient's window.






It didn't pose a direct threat to me, but the wind was blowing it towards the Newhall Pass. That is the only realistic route between the San Fernando Valley and Santa Clarita. Soon enough, I was on the freeway heading north, roughly towards the fire. I passed through some heavy smoke and violent winds, but made it home safely. A few hours later, the freeways going through the pass were all closed. I'm stranded at home and alone on a Saturday night because I don't have anyone to play with in Santa Clarita.

But, once again, I'm lucky. Nearly 700 homes were lost in the fire. I stayed up half the night watching the fire on TV and from my windows. Even though I live on the opposite side of the mountain, I could see shimmering orange clouds swirling above the mountain top, lighting up the sky. My camera, unfortunately, couldn't capture the eery, gates of Hell effect.





This was the view this morning afternoon when I woke up. The fire was burning on my side of the mountain, but the wind was blowing it back where it came from. The danger isn't entirely over, but things are looking up.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 11/15/2008 10:08:00 PM, Blogger Mahala said...

I've been watching the fires on MSNBC. It's got to be a frightening experience.

I hope it stays on the other side of the mountain.

 
At 11/16/2008 06:04:00 AM, Blogger Tiffany said...

I would rather be told I look like "nature" than that I look like their "ex girlfriend"

Im keeping my fingers crossed about the fires too!

 
At 11/16/2008 12:05:00 PM, Blogger Irene said...

I'm glad you posted. I was wondering about you and the dogs and your nearness to the fire. We have the smoke and ash from the OC fires going over our place and we are no where near the fires.

 
At 11/17/2008 12:52:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Mahala, I like your new avater. And all this time I thought you were a koala bear. :)

Tiffany, when you were told you like just like an old girlfriend, I hope you ran.

Irene, the air is so nasty. I hope that you are able to stay inside with air conditioning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home