web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Vacation From Hell

It was the most expensive meal of my life and it wasn't even that good. It was just your usual all-you-can-eat buffet. Lunch cost six hundred dollars for two people and we didn't even order alcohol. It was partly expensive because lunch was along the coast with a nice view of the scenic Port of Los Angeles. And, the tab included four days at sea on a cruise ship. But, we left after lunch.

What happened is that after lunch, I had called my mom to see how my dad was doing. We had taken my father to the hospital the night before and he had been admitted. It was determined that he had new onset heart failure in addition to his pre-existing emphysema. The conditions can be managed medically up to a point, so I figured with some changes in his medications, he would be discharged in a day or two. Before the ship left though, I wanted to make sure my dad was doing okay.

My mom had bad news. Dad had an aortic aneurism and might need surgery right away. Lindsay and I got off the ship. I went to my parent's house and moved in for a few days. The cruise clothes worked fine for my stay, although I had no occasion to wear my red ballgown.

By the time I got to the hospital with my mom, they were putting Dad on a gurney to transfer him to another hospital. A surgeon there was going to try and repair the aneurysm by snaking a stent through a blood vessel in his groin. It was a new procedure that only became available a couple of years ago. There was a possibility that the aneurism could only be repaired by opening my father up. With his bad lungs and heart, he was a poor surgical risk for such extensive surgery.

The surgery went well and only the the minimally invasive procedure was needed. It turned out that there were two aneurysms along the abdominal aorta and were about the size of oranges. It was a miracle that they were diagnosed before they ruptured.

It was the week from hell. My stomach still hurts from the stress and I lost a pound without trying, but my dad is now home and doing much better. The first thing he did after we got him home and plopped in his chair was to ask for his cigarettes. Even after all of this, he is still unwilling to quit smoking and there is not a thing we can do about it.

Now, it is time for me to go back to work and I need a vacation. At least I have my dad back.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 10/12/2008 10:54:00 PM, Blogger Keeneye said...

I'm not gonna lie -- I scanned down to the end of your post to be sure that your dad was OK.

After getting the thumbs-up, I'll now say....

One of our employees is pregnant, and still sneaks outside for a smoke break. In a moment of angry judgement, I asked her what would hurt more: me back-handing her across the face or the inhalation of smoke to her unborn child?

Ouch.

Nicotine is very, very addictive. So much so that some people would rather be back-handed for each inhalation of smoke than to quit smoking.

Give Dad lots of love....

 
At 10/13/2008 04:01:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Wishing you and your family the best.

 
At 10/13/2008 07:27:00 AM, Blogger may said...

sorry about the interrupted vacation, but glad to hear your dad's okay.

 
At 10/13/2008 11:45:00 PM, Blogger Tiffany said...

Im so glad to hear that you Dad is ok!

Sorry about the vacation, but I hope that the lunch was at least good.

 
At 10/14/2008 09:20:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Keeneye, I'm being kind and non-judgmental towards my father's smoking, although when I see a young person smoking, I just want to start screaming.

Alan, thanks.

May, thanks. There will be other cruises.

Tiffany. The food was just okay and I didn't even eat much because I was saving room for dinner which I never got.

 
At 10/18/2008 02:05:00 AM, Blogger gemmak said...

Eeekkk...that was an expensive lunch but I'm so glad to hear your Dad is recovering now.

Note on the smoking thing; As a smoker, believe me, I find it far more frustrating than any medical professional does that I just don't seem to be able to give up, despite my knowing the damage it is causing me and despite my being pretty 'savvy' professionally on addiction and mental health issues.

It's my greatest frustration in life and my greatest cause of self-dislike....but I still can't manage to do it! :o(

 
At 10/18/2008 07:12:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Whew... I'm glad your dad was diagnosed so quickly and is doing better. :)

 
At 10/19/2008 07:38:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gemmak, smoking is a difficult addiction to quit. My dad tried everything, quit on many occasions, but always went back to it. I hope that someday you are able to quit.

Thanks, Lisa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home