web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Train Wreck

I don't know about other areas of the country, but the train crash in Chatsworth is a big story here. We treated some of the victims in our hospital and everyday, the front page of the local newspapers has some news of the crash.

A not very reliable source at work told me that one of our nurses was killed in the crash. I tried to independently verify the information. As the days went by, the Times kept adding the names of victims, but the nurse was never mentioned. I decided that the rumor was false.

Coming to work today, I noticed that the flags were flying at half-staff. After considering the possibilities, it seemed most likely that we did lose a coworker. I checked my E-mail and found the notice of her death. It was official.

I didn't know her, but I knew of her. I knew her name and what she did at the hospital. Her job was to get involved whenever the hospital made a terrible mistake and do whatever it took to make amends in order to avoid a lawsuit.

She was the peacemaker, although her official title was hospital ombudsman. It must have been a difficult job. I will not be applying for her old job. I would rather clean up poop and vomit than deal with that kind of stress and conflict. It is a good thing that there are people like her that thrive in that kind of environment.

One of my patients died at the end of my shift tonight. It was expected, but watching him slowly die all evening and then stop breathing, I kept thinking of our nurse. She was dead too, only instead of being old and terminally ill, she had been in her prime. Life is dangerous. You never know what is coming at you from around the curve.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 9/18/2008 03:52:00 PM, Blogger SummerAnytime said...

That is so incredibly sad. How horiible, I feel for all the families who have lost someone in that train wreck.

 
At 9/18/2008 07:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's to bad... I'm sorry to hear about your nurse, and the terminally ill old man.

 
At 9/22/2008 08:30:00 AM, Blogger Jack said...

It's even sadder if the wreck was caused by inattention due to texting. Such a needless loss of life.

 
At 9/24/2008 11:14:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

12 weeks, Lisa and Bulldog, it is so sad. Hopefully, Metrolink will invest in the existing technology that can override human error and prevent head-on collisions.

 
At 9/25/2008 10:36:00 PM, Blogger shrimplate said...

Dogs. Dogs are around the corner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home