web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, August 08, 2008

Lust For Money

Why oh why does solicitation have to be illegal? At work, my heart has been racing lately because of my unrequited desire to solicit. On my off hours, I think about it and discuss it with my lawyer friends. We are all salivating, but know of no way to do what we desperately want to do.

There have been two patients who are the victims of egregious malpractice. One patient had a led amputated due to a misdiagnosis by a nurse practitioner in one of our clinics. I can't go into the details, but I have seen the smoking gun document. It is a once in a lifetime lawsuit and as bad as I feel for the patient, I also feel bad that I can't get a cut of the action. Does that sound callous? Yes, it is. People don't hate lawyers for no good reason.

The other case involved another hospital, a trauma center that stabilized her before sending her to us. They operated on the wrong hip and failed to properly anesthetize her. Although paralyzed by the anesthesia, she was wide awake and unable to let let them know that she could feel them drilling in her hip, the wrong one.

I know a great law firm that would do these cases justice and pay me a referral fee. But I can't risk my license, either my law license or RN license, for money. It is so hard sometimes to do the right thing, especially when there is so much money involved. I'm relieved that the patients have been discharged, so that I no longer have to white-knuckle it.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 8/09/2008 08:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just so bad. It makes people really REALLY angry when something like that happens. That's why they want to let the lawyers take it to the limit.

 
At 8/11/2008 11:20:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

People do tend to hate lawyers, until they need one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home