web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Mystery Destination

I agreed to go on a vacation without any idea where it was going to be. I have a week off in October and we had talked about possibly going on a cruise then. There was a cruise around New Zealand that sounded particularly nice, but although the cruise was cheap, the airfare was ridiculous. A cruise up the East coast into Canada also sounded good, but although not as insane as flying to New Zealand, it was still expensive to get there.

Lindsay mentioned something about going to Mexico since we live where the ship leaves from. That saves a ton of money, but the problem is that the trip is to Mexico. I won't get off the ship if it goes to Mexico. I have this phobia thing about third world countries.

Anyway, Lindsay left a message on my answering machine saying that the cost of the cruise had come down in price and did I want to go. I was in a hurry to get to work when I got the message, so I quickly just said okay.

While driving to work, it occurred to me that I had no idea which cruise Lindsay was referring to. New Zealand was too much to hope for, but New England was a possibility. When I got the chance, I called Lindsay and asked, as casually as possible, what ports the ship was going to visit. That would tell me what I needed to know without admitting I had no idea what I had agreed to.

He answered San Diego, Catalina and Ensenada. Oh well. I'll live. San Diego is okay even though I have been there only like a hundred times before. It will be my first time to Catalina, so that will be fun. And as for Mexico, they still have lots of onboard entertainment for those who refuse to get off the boat. I won't be the only one.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 8/08/2008 08:43:00 AM, Blogger may said...

just curious...what is it specifically that you are afraid of in third world countries? the expected filthy environment, or the possibility of being robbed?

 
At 8/08/2008 11:48:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm sorry May, I hope that I didn't offend you. I wasn't thinking of the Philippines.

I worry about getting sick or in an accident and not getting the best medical care. I worry about corrupt police falsely charging me with something in order to get a bribe. I worry about rabid dogs roaming the streets.

 
At 8/09/2008 01:32:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I went to Mexico in high school. Our Spanish teacher accompanied us. It was a pretty interesting trip, through Mexico City, Tasco and Acapulco.

My stepson went to Mexico with a group of other 21-year-old boys and the police did pull him over and *supposedly* said that he would either need to pay a $200 fine for something or go to jail.

I'm not quite sure if they had a legitimate reason for pulling him over or not, and I know very little (ok, nothing) about the Mexican legal system.

My advise (unsolicited, hehe) would be "have fun" and don't act rowdy. :)

Stay off the parasailing boat, too. That's too high up. (not that I would personally know)

 
At 8/09/2008 08:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will like Catalina. It's very different and strolling at night in the warm air is pretty neat.

 
At 8/11/2008 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, parasailing? Part of me wants to try it sometime, but I'm afraid of what my sympathetic nervous system might do.

Anon, too bad that I won't be in Catalina at night. That's the problem with cruises. Everything is according to their schedule, not mine.

 
At 8/11/2008 09:51:00 PM, Blogger may said...

you did not offend me. and even if you were thinking of the philippines, i will not be offended.
our country is a third world country, and even i, who was born and raised there, fear a lot of things based on experience. robbery, filth, pollution, corruption, violence. although there are a lot of beautiful places back home which i am proud to recommend for holidays, the cities are reasonably scary in general.
i was just curious, that's all. no apologies needed :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home