web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

My Big Brother

My big brother passed away early this morning from a massive stroke. I can't believe that I will never see him again.

He is survived by his wife, five step-children, our parents, brother and assorted dogs, cats, a squirrel and large reptile things. He loved air planes, Porches and travel. He served in the Air Force, was an L.A.P.D. officer and later a flight engineer.

Diabetes robbed him of his sight a few years ago. He was still tall and handsome, though, and managed to meet and marry an angel, despite his blindness. I will always be grateful to his lovely wife for taking caring of him these past difficult years.

Recently, he had become dependent upon dialysis to keep him alive. His health was steadily getting worse. On top of everything else, my brother had just been diagnosed with a tumor requiring major surgery. The stroke occurred first and was perhaps a blessing. He didn't suffer. As a nurse, I've seen some bad, agonizing deaths. My brother was fortunate. He slipped into a coma and peacefully passed away.

My sweet Golden Retriever, Kelsey, who died a few months ago, was crazy about my brother. I imagine Kelsey greeting my brother with sloppy, wet kisses and leading him to a better place. Please let it be so.


~ Home

15 Comments:

At 7/02/2008 12:55:00 AM, Blogger gemmak said...

I'm so sorry for your loss but as you say, under the circumstances, whilst death at such an age is always very sad, it was perhaps a blessing that he died so peacefully.

 
At 7/02/2008 04:44:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

hugs to you... sorry.

 
At 7/02/2008 05:07:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

*hugs*

 
At 7/02/2008 08:24:00 AM, Blogger Irene said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful big brother.

 
At 7/02/2008 06:34:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oh my Gosh, you mean Butch? I always thought you were older because you seemed to take care of him before he got married. Well he and Murphy and Kelsey are definently in a beter place, and he didn't have to endure the long sometimes drawn out end the the hospitals seem to love putting people through instead of taking proper care of them in the first place. I am sorry and please send my love to your parents.

 
At 7/02/2008 09:20:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thank you, Gemmak, Madwag, Mahala and Irene.

Sarah, it was Butch who passed. He didn't have a long, drawn out dying process because the plug was pulled. Too bad we can't do that for more patients.

 
At 7/04/2008 09:48:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your brother - I lost my Mom the same way back in '01. It really makes you appriciate all of the things that you have in your life: friends, family, good health.
My thoughts are with you.

 
At 7/05/2008 02:51:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Really sorry to hear about your brother. I'll bet you are right about Kelsey.

 
At 7/05/2008 07:13:00 PM, Blogger Bianca Castafiore? said...

I stumbled by, a stranger. Bless you for your love, and for your loss. Big brother-units are so special.

 
At 7/06/2008 12:20:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, I'm sorry about your mom.

Lisa, thanks, I sure hope so.

Bianca, thank you.

 
At 7/06/2008 09:38:00 AM, Blogger may said...

my condolences. having four brothers myself, i can only imagine how much you will miss him.

 
At 7/06/2008 03:46:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

My condolenses on the loss of your brother. Our thoughts are with you.

 
At 7/09/2008 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, May and Allen.

 
At 7/11/2008 09:44:00 AM, Blogger shrimplate said...

My condolences.

 
At 7/16/2008 12:24:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thank you, Shrimplate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home