web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Gas Woes

All of my time spent blogging hasn't been wasted, it turns out. I have become really good at cutting and pasting. I had to. Who wants to type all of the stuff that is stolen borrowed from other places? On the second day of my computer class, we had to cut and paste to construct documents. I was the only one who could do it.

The young nurses are more profient with computers, but obviously, they don't blog. After the first bad day at computer class, my damaged self-esteem got a much need boost.

On a side note, the traffic has changed from the last time I had to drive in rush hour traffic. The 25 mile drive should have taken between 60 and 90 minutes. Both days, it took about 25 minutes. Either half the population of Los Angeles decided to go on vacation at the same time or the gas prices have taken people off the roads.

I'm paying $4.87 a gallon for gas now. The last time I bought gas, it cost $72 to fill up the tank and I have a small car. My gas station has taken down its big price signs which could be read from a block away and replaced them with one small, discreet, sign. Next, they may take the sign away entirely and just say that if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

There is no way for me to get to work other than drive, but I have made some other changes. I no longer drive twenty miles just for a Pink Berry. Costco's frozen yogurt isn't as good, but it is much closer to my house and a fraction of the cost.

I'm also driving slower and avoiding quick accelerations. Driving isn't nearly as much fun, but I also don't have to keep an eye out for the cops any longer. Are you doing anything special to deal with the high gas prices?


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 6/30/2008 11:12:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

I usually just try to hold out on buying gas until my daughter needs to borrow the truck. I usually get at least a half a tank that way.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

 
At 6/30/2008 02:04:00 PM, Blogger Keeneye said...

Gas is $4.27 here in Eastern Oregon. I only live a mile from work, though, so it only costs me 33-cents each way if I have to drive.

 
At 6/30/2008 03:22:00 PM, Blogger Irene said...

I'm off work for the summer which helps. If I need to run errands, I wait and try to do them all at the same time. Last Friday I met two friends for lunch in Downtown Long Beach. I took Long Beach Transit round trip. It wasn't half bad and not only did I save on gas but I saved on having to pay exorbitant parking fees :)

 
At 6/30/2008 03:40:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Gas was $4.37 when I filled up Annette's minivan yesterday. The Jeep is my commuter and I generally burn 5 gallons a week. I used to drive to work in third, but I have been using fourth on the flats and downhills. 40 MPH is the highest speed limit on my route.

 
At 7/01/2008 07:24:00 AM, Blogger may said...

i pray when i fill my tank now. with fingers crossed, i pray that the number on the price slot will stop, but at 4.59 yesterday, my prayers went unheard.

i still take the kids to the park everytime i'm off, but this time, to the one closer to our house.

 
At 7/02/2008 09:15:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Mahala, all is fair in love and...whatever. :)

Keeneye, that isn't fair. I want to live a mile from work. Oh wait, I work in a high crime area. Never mind; I'll just drive and bite the bullet.

Irene, oh, what I would give to have the summers off.

Alan, if I drove that slowly, I would be killed. :)

May, I guess everyone's gas prayers are going unanswered. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home