web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Paperless

My electric toothbrush stays on for a predetermined amount of time, about two minutes, I think. So, I was brushing my teeth and sat down to watch TV to entertain myself. It seemed like way more than two minutes went by.

I got up, walked into the bathroom and glanced in the mirror. I was brushing with an ordinary toothbrush. I am truly losing my mind.

It is with that kind of brain that I went to a computer class today. My hospital is going "paperless" next month, so we have to learn to do everything on the computer. Usually, I'm a fast learner, so it is hard for me to accept the role of the class dunce. And, I have to go back tomorrow for more punishment. I envy the nurses who were able to retire before all of this nonsense started.

I'm in that awkward age bracket, too old to be comfortable with computers and too young to retire. I've heard of doctors who say they are going to hire secretaries to help them with their computer entries. Too bad that is not an option for me. I'll get over it, but in the meantime, I just want to curl up in a ball and sleep for a few days.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 6/25/2008 05:29:00 PM, Blogger Mahala said...

When I have absent minded instances like that, I wonder how much worse I'll get as I get older. It's a scary feeling.

 
At 6/26/2008 03:53:00 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Our favorite nurse practioner just quit our family practice to go back to teaching. The paperless system just took too much of her time and energy.

 
At 6/27/2008 06:48:00 AM, Blogger may said...

we went paperless about a year or so ago, and we hated it then. we can't live without it now.

i'm pretty sure you'll feel the same way about it after a while.

hang in there :)

 
At 6/27/2008 10:53:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Mahala, it is especially scary when I think of my grandma who later didn't even recognise me.

Bulldog, right now it seems like we will either take care of the patients or chart electronically. We can't do both. I don't blame her for quitting.

May, I sure hope so, but unless we work for the same huge corporation, we have different software. I hope that ours works as well as yours.

 
At 6/29/2008 07:53:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I'll be interested to know if they actually meet their goal. Our agency has been slowly but surely "going paperless", where they use software to chart, but then print it all. :)

 
At 6/30/2008 10:36:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Wow, that really defeats the purpose. Management can be so silly sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home