web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Alaska Or Bust

Failure was not an option. I got up at 6 am, after only a little over 3 hours sleep and went to work. The sprinklers needed to be fixed today. They have been broken for a good 6 months, but I have been able to manage by attaching a sprinkler attachment to the hose and moving it around. Tomorrow, my trip to Alaska begins, so, the yard must be self-watering or I will come home to a dead garden.

Lindsay tried to fix the system a few weeks ago and gave up. He said something about needing a volt meter, but didn't get around to it. I used the old fashioned method of working with live wires to see what sparked. It has now been rewired, the timers work and I didn't even shock myself.

Now, there is a new problem. The dogs managed to break three sprinkler heads and it wasn't just the heads. The pipe leading to the heads, deep underground broke. After two trips to the hardware store, I got only one fixed.

I'm tired, can't dig anymore or make any more trips to the hardware store. I'm done. I'm hoping that the geysers will spray out sufficient water to keep the yard more or less alive.

In the meantime, I have finished packing. I have my evening gowns, high heels, down jacket and mittens in the suitcase and managed to come in under the airline weight limit. It's not easy packing for a trip involving hiking in cold weather, dancing in formal gowns and getting it all in one suitcase that weighs less than 50 pounds. I had to leave out the tiara.

Anyway, I will be gone a little over a week. Take care.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 5/30/2008 05:52:00 PM, Blogger Mahala said...

Take lots of pictures!!

 
At 5/31/2008 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Christian Kay said...

ACK!! You are going to miss your babies so much! I can't leave for more than 2 days....I go through doggie withdrawal.

Have fun!

 
At 6/01/2008 04:56:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Bon Voyage! You should get plenty of blog fodder.

 
At 6/04/2008 10:48:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have a great trip (and a great birthday!)

 
At 6/05/2008 08:42:00 PM, Blogger Christian Kay said...

Ack! When's this trip going to be over? I came back to check and it's only been what, 4 days? Hope you're enjoying yourself!

 
At 6/09/2008 06:33:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Mahala, is over 500 enough? :)

Christian, I did miss the boys terribly. It's the main reason I don't travel more often.

Alan, I did get plenty of Blog fodder. How many installments can you stand on my summer vacation? :)

Thanks, Connie. I had a great birthday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home