web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, May 23, 2008

OCD And Meat Loaf

I don't recall living in a cave for the past thirty years, but I'm starting to wonder. There are other worlds out there that I never knew existed. This realization happened a couple of weeks ago while watching a commercial. I liked it. It is the rock and roll, AT&T commercial where a dad agrees to buy his son a cell phone. It is cute, but completely went over my head. My problem is that I had never heard of Meat Loaf (the singer, not the recipe).

Lindsay mentioned that the song was a parody of Paradise By The Dashboard Light. That meant nothing to me. He found the video on You Tube and made me watch it. I haven't been the same since. I'm not exactly obsessed with Meat Loaf, but I can't stop watching his videos. Well, maybe I am a little obsessed. I have cut down on my blogging because there is only so much time in the day and I have to make time for Meat Loaf. There are thousands of videos of him and I must see them all.

I was already familiar with some of his music, I just didn't know whose music it was. It didn't interest me enough to find out, much less buy it. What I like is watching him perform and analyzing him. His performances over the past thirty years range from genius level to embarrassing. I've been studying his life history and trying to understand his performances in the context of what was happening to him at the time. I could go into a long dissertation on the subject, but who really cares but me?

In the meantime, I'm trapped in this obsession and hope that it goes away soon. But there is hope. My Princess Diana obsession was bad too, but eventually I came to my senses. That only took about fifteen years. It is all ancient history now, but some day I will have to write about how the Princess of Wales affected my life. I'm not expecting as much from Meat Loaf, although I may have to buy some of his CD's.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 5/23/2008 08:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really should buy ALL Meat's cd's. Within every song is a story that unfolds.....his passion and emotion with every word is enough to keep you wanting more.

 
At 5/24/2008 06:13:00 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Meat still has a lot of fans - especially the Rocky Horror Picture Show freadazoids. I guess that's normal for a guy who's sold 70 million albums. I believe he had only one number one single.

Ellen Foley was pretty good on "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"

 
At 5/24/2008 06:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of Loafdom! If you want to meet more people who share your obsession go to meatloaf.net and read the message boards. You are not alone!!

 
At 5/24/2008 03:58:00 PM, Blogger shrimplate said...

Ellen Foley was the actress who played the public defender on the old "Night Court" TV comedy, before Markie Post took the role.

She was pretty good in just about everything she did.

Many years ago I saw Meatloaf in a television interview in which the host called him "Mr. Loaf."

 
At 5/27/2008 12:21:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Anon, that isn't you, Meat, is it? Are you trying to sell more music? :)

Bulldog, Ellen was great. She set the standard by which I judge other performances.

Anon, why is it that Meat Loaf's fans wish to remain anonymous? Am I going to regret someday that I openly admitted to liking Meat Loaf? I visited his website but am not obsessed enough to pay fifty dollars to read it.

Shrimplate, I remember her in Night Court. She was good. She still performs the Paradise song occasionally and is as good as ever. Too bad Meat loaf can't say the same.

 
At 5/27/2008 08:50:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

First time the commercial came on TV we looked at each other and said simultaneously, "Was that Meat Loaf?" Catchy tune.

 
At 5/29/2008 12:15:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, why is it that everyone but me has heard that song before?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home