web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Garden Styles and A New Camera





My garden doesn't look like this very often. There was no sun today, but I didn't mind. It was easier to pretend that I was in England. It takes a great deal of water to keep this green, over-grown look, but I don't really care. I should. Water comes from hundreds of miles away and there is a drought, but still, I don't care. I must have my English garden regardless of the consequences.
Lindsay is in to native gardens. Environmentally, it makes more sense, but it doesn't look like mine. His garden is mostly dirt with dead-looking plants. He has even had problems with Building and Safety responding to neighbor complaints about his yard. What is a meadow to him is an un-mowed lawn to others. After explaining his yard to officials, they will back-off, but still. Who wants a yard that creates enemies?

I bought my third digital camera today because my two previous cameras are broken. They are still usable, but a challenge to operate. The viewfinder of the Nikon is non-functional as the result of a fall. The flash on the Olympus doesn't work. My new camera is a Canon. I hope that I have better luck with it. It should arrive next week.
Before the digital cameras, I had an old-fashioned Olympus. I was hoping for an engagement ring that Christmas, but got the camera instead. It was completely manual and took time for me to learn, but it took great photos once I got the hang of it. It was so heavy, though, especially with the separate lenses, that I preferred to leave it behind. That got me in trouble with my eventual husband, but jeez, that camera bag felt like it was filled with gold nuggets.
I used that camera for over twenty years, but switched to digital on the same day that I bought my computer. I love being able to see the photos immediately, but it comes at a price. The digital cameras are fragile and don't seem to take as good of shots as I could get with a manual camera. I could buy a manual digital camera, but they are extremely expensive and I don't want to risk spending that kind of money for a camera that may only last a year or two, especially since I'm butter-fingered. But at least the digital cameras are light. There is always one in my purse.
I'll have just enough time to learn the new camera before leaving for Alaska. It is coming up fast. Yippie!


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 5/09/2008 12:09:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I think your garden is beautiful... keep it up. I don't like native dry gardens either... depressing

 
At 5/09/2008 07:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I have your backyard?

 
At 5/11/2008 03:41:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

That is a very nice garden. Looks like a great spot to relax. Around here we have moss gardens. The stuff grows everywhere. Even on cars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home