web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Flag Etiquette



Perhaps I'm being too picky, but the sight of the flags waiving in front of the hospital bothers me. The problem is that the corporate logo flag is flying at the same height as the U.S. flag. Somehow, it just seems disrespectful.

Other businesses with flags out front, such as McDonald's, usually fly the U.S. flag on a higher pole.

Am I being too picky?


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 4/30/2008 05:08:00 PM, Blogger Irene said...

In first reading this and seeing your photo, I thought the same thing. But I did a search for "flag etiquette" and found that your hospital is displaying them correctly. Here is the quote:

"When flown with flags of states, communities, or societies on separate flag poles which are of the same height and in a straight line, the flag of the United States is always placed in the position of honor - to its own right.
..The other flags may be smaller but none may be larger.
..No other flag ever should be placed above it.
..The flag of the United States is always the first flag raised and the last to be lowered."

We have some very large flags being flown from some large cell phone towers in the parking lot of a small shopping center near me. They are also in a straight line and it is the American Flag, State of California Flag, and the County of Los Angeles Flag. They are never taken down and have a light on them at night.

 
At 5/01/2008 04:06:00 PM, Blogger may said...

thanks for the info irene. i would have felt the same as melissa if i didn't read your comment.

 
At 5/02/2008 12:28:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Irene, I guess that I'm being too picky. Although it's not a breach of etiquette to fly the flags at the same height, I would still be happier if the U.S. flag was displayed more prominently than some corporate advertising promo flag.

 
At 5/02/2008 03:40:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I have to agree w/ you Melissa.

 
At 5/02/2008 05:33:00 AM, Blogger Irene said...

Oh, I agree too. Especially the part about some corporate flag.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home