web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Poppies








This is the Lancaster Poppy Reserve. It was a challenge taking these photos. The view screen on my camera is dark, probably the result of MacKenzie knocking the camera out of my hands and onto the ground. As a result, these photos were taken blind. I just pointed, shot and hoped for the best.

The poppies were spectacular, but were not at their best due to the wind. Poppies close in the wind and boy was it windy. The gusts practically knocked me off my feet. It was also cold. At my house, it was in the mid-seventies today. At the reserve, it was in the mid-fifties. I wasn't dressed warmly enough and I was starting to get ear aches from the cold wind, so I walked as fast as I could and got out of there. I need to go back when the wind isn't blowing. The California poppy is a great choice for the state flower, don't you think?

On the way home, I drove past a human prison and a pet prison. They are right next to each other. I'm not allowed to have another dog, but I stopped and looked anyway. There was a blond cocker that I liked, but there were two holds on him, so I left empty-handed. Thank goodness. Now I need to try and forget about all of the other little doggy faces I saw that need homes.






~ Home

5 Comments:

At 4/16/2008 04:18:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

The pictures turned out good. Looks like a nice place to visit. I've been to Lancaster/Palmdale many times and didn't know the reserve was nearby.

 
At 4/16/2008 06:00:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

Wow.. your blind shots come out better than my aimed ones lol.

 
At 4/17/2008 12:41:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

If you are ever there between April and early May, be sure to visit, assuming that it was a fairly wet winter. Last year they only got about 50 flowers.

Mahala, that's not true, but thank you anyway. :)

 
At 4/18/2008 02:12:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Probably won't get a chance to see them. The company has changed direction and so we don't hang out at Edwards anymore. I may have taken my last drive on the 14; unless we get a rollercoaster urge that we can't fight.

 
At 4/21/2008 11:06:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, then I hope that you get a coaster urge during April or early May in a wet year. :)

Anna, your link took me to Google. What am I supposed to look at?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home