web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Elevator Moves

Every time I get on the elevator at work, I have to bend over and press my chest against the side of the elevator at about thigh level. This is something new.


The braniacs in charge of my hospital decided that only staff should be able to ride the staff elevators. That is a good idea. And the way to keep ordinary people off the elevators is to require that people swipe their badges against the elevator to make it work. That is a good idea as well. At the old hospital, there was no way to keep non-staff from riding our elevators, which made for longer wait times.

The problem is that the badge sensors are at thigh level. I keep my badge both tied around my neck and clipped to my neck seam, so that it stays securely out of the way. It is too difficult to remove it each time I get on the elevator, so I have to bend over and thrust out my chest.

We are required to wear our badges above the waist. So why are the scanners at thigh level?


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 4/12/2008 09:25:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Sounds like our place. Most areas have security doors which require placing ones badge near the badge reader. I wear my badge on my shirt pocket and often lean toward the sensor if my hands are full. It does look more interesting when the female employees do likewise.

 
At 4/13/2008 06:39:00 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Obviously, they're trying to take photos of your naughty bits. :o)

 
At 4/13/2008 09:55:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe the scanners need to be lower to accomodate people in wheelchairs?

 
At 4/13/2008 02:20:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, I lean even if my hands are empty. I don't want to bother with unclipping the badge.

Bulldog, it's a good thing that we all wear slacks. :)

Connie, I hadn't thought of that. Nurses must be able to walk, but I guess it's possible that not all jobs require the ability to walk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home