web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Crashing Into A Crash Cart





Whoever designed the new hospital forgot that we have crash carts. There is no good place for them. The crash carts sit in the entryway to the nurse's stations. It is a very narrow space with the cart sitting in it. As a result, we tend to crash into the crash cart when walking into the nurse's station.


The main problem with this is that the flimsy plastic locks that secure the cart fall off when we walk into it. The locks have to be flimsy so that the cart is easy to to open in a code. The locks also must be locked so that we know that everything is in the cart. If the cart is unlocked, who knows what might be missing from it?


The proper procedure is to get a whole new crash cart when a lock breaks. That is what we used to do until now. Now, the locks break several times a day and it is just too much trouble to exchange crash carts that often. So, now there is tape holding the drawers closed. It works, but there is no way to know if someone removed anything from the crash cart. I'm just pretending that everything is okay . Others are doing the same.


I'm wondering, though. This is not the first time that my employer has built a hospital. They don't reinvent the wheel each time. Our blueprint has been used in other hospitals. Didn't anyone notice before that there is no place for a crash cart?


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 4/12/2008 09:27:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Wish I had a clever comment for this one, but I don't. Sorry.

 
At 4/13/2008 02:17:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I couldn't think of a clever punch line either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home