web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Little Accident


This photo is of the man who crashed into my car on his motorcycle. We are busy exchanging insurance information in the photo.

What happened is that I was driving home from Home Depot with a trunk full of flowers when the cars in front of me stopped suddenly. I'm careful about maintaining a safe following distance, so I had no trouble stopping in time.

Just as I came to a stop, I heard someone honking their horn behind me. I glanced in the mirror and saw a motorcycle flying towards me. It was obvious that he was not going to be able to stop. There was no place for me to go to escape him; traffic was stopped all around me, so I just waited for the impact. I didn't believe that I would be injured. My concern was that since he was on a motorcycle, he could be badly injured or killed and I really didn't need that.

I don't remember feeling any thud, but I heard it. In my mirror, I watched him fall off his bike and disappear below the horizon of my mirror. This was so bad. I turned off my engine and got out of my car. Some guys jumped out of a truck and helped him stand and put his bike upright. I was so relieved not to have to deal with blood, broken bones or guts lying all over the road. I asked the motorcyclist if he was okay and he said that he was.

Since he was okay and his bike looked okay, the next priority was getting out of traffic. I asked him where he would like to go. He said that he didn't know. I said that there was a parking lot up ahead and he said that he would follow me. When I got in my car, I noticed a police car pull up behind me. I ignored it. I drove to the parking lot with the cop car and motorcycle driver following me, hoping all the while that the cop didn't think that I was fleeing the scene of an accident.

The cops were nice. They just made sure that everyone was okay and watched us exchange information. Well, they also ran our plates and driver licenses, but I guess that is part of their job. Neither one of us was wanted for anything and we both had proof of insurance, so it was a smooth transaction.

The motorcycle driver had a tiny cut on his nose, but was otherwise fine. His bike suffered no damage. The wheel of his bike went through my rear bumper, so that is going to cost some money to replace. The insurance will take care of it. I just hope that my insurance company doesn't raise my rates because of this.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 4/18/2008 09:53:00 AM, Blogger Jack said...

I believe California is a no-fault state, so either his insurance will pay or yours will pay and then subrogate. Result, not your fault, no effect on Melissa's checkbook.

How do I know? Ask Lisa or Mrs. B.

. . . come to think of it, why am I telling a lawyer this? :o}

 
At 4/18/2008 02:23:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

A guy on a bike rear-ends a nurse and a lawyer...

There's got to be a good punch line for this!

 
At 4/19/2008 09:14:00 PM, Blogger Jack said...

So, a priest, a rabbi, a minister, a lawyer, a nurse, a horse, a fat lady and a pig walk into a bar.

The bartender says: "What is this? a Joke?"

:rimshot:

 
At 4/20/2008 08:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a motorcycle rider's nightmare. At least he was honking to let you know he was coming. I'm surprised his bike and he are both ok, after taking a spill. Must have been going relatively slow, huh?

 
At 4/21/2008 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Bulldog, accidents do affect insurance rates here. People who have accidents pay more for insurance than those who do not.

Alan, it's frustrating trying to find that alusive punch line.

Lisa, I can't judge the speed of people behind me, but it was rush hour, so he couldn't have been going that fast. Are you sure that you want to keep riding?

 
At 4/25/2008 04:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not really.. That sounded a little scarey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home