web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Shopaholic's Dream

Some big development has been going in along the freeway near my house. As usual, the top of a hill was cut off and the sides were terraced like little rice paddies. The steep sides along the freeway were covered in cloth of some kind to protect it from erosion. It is ugly, of course, but nothing worth Blogging about. It is just the kind of thing that happens all of the time.

My first inkling that this development was different was the edge of one building that is visible from the freeway. The building, even in the land of McMansions, was just too big to be a home. It is a residential area, so I figured that it was a new school being built.

Next, a couple of stone monoliths appeared on the side of the steep slope. I didn't know what they were, but didn't really care.

Now, I'm excited and happy. The monoliths are signs. The name Target appeared on one of them. Next came a Kohl's sign, then Circuit City and Lowe's. There is still plenty of room for more store names. Please let there be a Pinkberry up on that hill somewhere.

I live on the side of Santa Clarita that has few stores. If I want something besides food or gas, I have to drive to the other side of the valley. It is so thrilling to have stores a few minutes from my house. With gas at $4.1699 a gallon, I want to drive as little as possible.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 5/17/2008 05:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your gas there is really expensive. I'm not looking forward to that.

 
At 5/17/2008 08:33:00 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Lowes, K-Mart, Circuit City, Kohls, Autozone and a grocery store are all I need to survive.

When we moved to the south of Virginia Beach (almost North-by-God-Carolina), none of that was within a reasonable drive.

In the last couple of years, all have come to us. Life is good . . . except for gas prices, that is.

 
At 5/17/2008 10:19:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Are you visiting Melissa, Lisa?

 
At 5/18/2008 03:28:00 AM, Blogger gemmak said...

Lol...your petrol is really cheap...ours works out at over $10 a gallon here!

 
At 5/18/2008 01:05:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, I don't know why LA gas costs more than Omaha gas. We have refineries here.

Bulldog, just add a Costco and I'm happy.

Dave, Lisa has everything she needs near her.

Gemmak, I can't imagine that.

 
At 5/18/2008 03:55:00 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Lisa, I don't know why LA gas costs more than Omaha gas.

Melissa: The reason can be stated in one word: Cali-freakin-fornia. California is not only in another time zone . . . it's in another dimension.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home