web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wetting A Finger

There is a new sign up at work. It tells us not to lick or spit on our fingers at work. Amazingly enough, that is becoming a problem.

Our pyxis machine, which holds our medications, will not open unless our fingerprints match its records. It will not read our fingerprints if our fingers are bone dry. We have become desperate in our attempts to moisten our fingers so that the damn drawers will open. We all have our own ways of getting a finger wet.

If I'm anxious, rubbing my finger against the palm of my hand will work. If my palms aren't sweaty enough, then a quick wipe on my forehead or nose will do the trick. This is one of the few times that oily skin is a blessing.

Other people have resorted to licking their finger or spitting on it. We wouldn't really care, except that then their spit gets all over the machine and who wants to touch nurse spit?

They want us to use either alcohol wipes or moisturizer to moisten our finger. We don't like alcohol because it dries out our skin. We don't like moisturizer because it leaves a white gooey substance behind that has to be removed with alcohol.

I'm going to continue to use sweat or facial oil to get my meds. Nursing just keeps getting dirtier and dirtier.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 9/12/2008 10:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this laugh!

 
At 9/14/2008 10:02:00 AM, Blogger SummerAnytime said...

That's so funny! The stuff that you have to put up with is crazy. Why am I going into nursing? Oh well. ~Becky~

 
At 9/16/2008 12:09:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Have they tried leaving a bottle of the antibacterial goo in a s quirt bottle there ( someone will steal it of course) but it doesn't dry your skin as much as alchohol. They have them for your key chain now, very handy, mine is in my desk where I never use it.
I don't remember having that problem with the pixis. Of course I think used the first one they ever made brought in on a covered wagon and it never worked anyway.
btw 12 weeeks...have you considered mortuary school, or even pharmacology?

 
At 9/18/2008 12:39:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Karen, welcome back to the blogging world. I've missed you.

Becky, this is the fun part of nursing. It all goes down-hill from here.

Sarah, we have that goo stuff at work, but no one uses it. Ours is just thickened, sticky alcohol that burns.

I don't especially like dead people or drugs. There are worse things than nursing. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home