web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Who Counted The Sponges?

My descent down into Hell has begun. The doctor has taken my estrogen away from me because it has caused a pre-cancerous condition in my uterus. The hot flashes have returned.

For an entire year, I was good. I slept well and felt fine. Now, the burning, tingling, adrenalin-like flashes are back, alternated with the I'm-so-cold-I'm-going-to die sensations. It's going to be at least three months until I can have estrogen again and there is a possibility I will never be allowed it again. It almost makes me want to buy a gun and hold up a pharmacy. No jury in the world would convict me, assuming they were all menopausal women.

At least I'm not going through what one of my patients experienced. She had a laprascopic hysterectomy. All she had after the surgery were three tiny, band aide-sized incisions. There was just one problem. The sponge count was off.

The doctor decided to x-ray the patient while she was still on the table. An image consistent with a sponge showed up on the x-ray, so the doctor cut an incision from hip bone to hip bone. The doctor searched every nook and cranny, but no sponge was to be found. The patient was stapled close.

The patient had to be told something, so she was just told that although they tried to do the procedure by the minimally invasive procedure, they were forced to open her up. She has no idea that she was opened up for a wild goose chase. Her recovery will be slower and more painful as a result. Should someone have told her the truth?


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 12/08/2008 04:41:00 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Short answer . . . ABSOLUTELY! That woman should not have to pay one red cent for her surgery, and the surgeon should be reported to the California medical board.

A mistake is one thing. Lying to cover it up is another.

 
At 12/08/2008 09:20:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I agree!!

 
At 12/11/2008 07:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They should have told her, for sure, especially when the recovery time would be longer.

 
At 12/11/2008 08:20:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Totally with Bulldog on this one.

 
At 12/28/2008 08:36:00 AM, Blogger shrimplate said...

Her lawyers will tell her what happened.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home