web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Dear Dogs


Dear Dogs,

When I say move, it means go someplace else, not switch positions with each other so there are still two of you in the way.

The dishes with the paw print are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a race track. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help, because I can fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king size bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue to sleep on the couch to ensure your comfort. Look at videos of dogs sleeping. They can actually curl up in a ball. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space used is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time there is no secret exit from the bathroom. If by some miracle I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, try to turn the door knob or get your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered. In addition, I have been using bathrooms for years, your attendance is not necessary.

The proper order is to kiss me, then go smell the other dog's butt. I cannot stress this enough. It would be a simple change for you.

Rules for non-pet owners who visit and like to complain about my pets:

They live here. You don't.

If you don't like their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. I like my pets a lot better than most people.

To you, it's an animal. To me, he is an adopted son who is short, hairy, walks on all fours and doesn't speak clearly.

Dogs are better than kids. They eat less, don't ask for money all of the time, are easier to train, usually come when called, never drive your car, don't hang out with drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't worry about buying the latest fashions, don't wear your clothes and don't need a gazillion dollars for college.

( Thanks Sarah for sending this to me. I made a few modifications.)



~ Home

9 Comments:

At 8/07/2005 09:51:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

California King could work :)

 
At 8/08/2005 12:22:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lol! I have one and it doesn't do the trick. The dogs sleep crosswise and I hang on to the edge of my itty bitty section of bed with a tail lying across my face. Why can't they sleep lengthwise like normal kids?

(Welcome back to blogging. Yay!) :)

 
At 8/09/2005 12:13:00 AM, Blogger Tati said...

Great post! Really made me laugh as so much of it is true.

 
At 8/09/2005 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks. The dogs must be the same everywhere. :)

 
At 8/10/2005 10:38:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Lisa. Pet lovers understand this. Non-pet lovers think we're out of our minds. :)

 
At 8/10/2005 11:12:00 AM, Blogger knottydon said...

I love your dogs...Used to own close to 20 dogs!!! they're the best companions ;o)

 
At 8/11/2005 10:06:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Knottydon, you owned about 20 dogs all at the same time? I hope that they didn't all sleep in bed with you. :)

 
At 8/31/2005 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Don't ask why I know this but Select comfort makes an extra long king sized bed (you know the "sleep number" beds) just for people who want extra room for their dogs to sleep at the bottom. As if you could get them down there! OK so what if I did have one. If anyone is interested Joseph at the Sherman Oaks store is very helpful (I heard), you can tell him I sent you.

 
At 9/10/2005 10:01:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Where do you get linens to fit the bed?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home