web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Why I'm Feeling Sick

The day started out well. I had tea and three pieces of fruit for breakfast. Lunch was a large green salad with more fruit and cheese. If I had just eaten the pineapple fried rice, pictured below, for dinner, I would have been fine. So why did I turn into a complete lunatic as soon as I got to work? It's because I was greeted by boxes, bags and baskets filled with goodies. Like a half-starved Doberman, I went to work, and I don't mean nursing.

This was on the menu:



Why couldn't I just eat this and be happy? This rice alone could have fed a family.


Was it really necessary to see how much baklava I could eat in one sitting?


Don't even get me started on the Trader Joe's basket.


It was a patient's birthday and we got the left-overs. It would have been impolite to not eat some.
Someone gave us gingerbread cookies with a bag of icing mix with instructions. It involved mixing the icing at medium speed. I don't want to seem ungrateful, but we don't have mixing bowls and electric beaters at the nursing station. The cookies were fine without icing.


Of course we had See's chocolates. That's our staple at work.


There were also Russell Stover's chocolates. We're not going to start on those until the See's is gone. I think that the reason for that goes without saying. There were also the usual butter cookies.


I really didn't need to eat panettone, but I needed something to counteract the sugar.

There was also some gelatinous rice flour, coconut milk and purple yam "delicacy" that I managed to abstain from. I accidently deleted the picture, so please just use your imagination. The bottom half was bright orange, from food coloring, and the top half was bright purple, from the yams. What a shame that I was too full to sample it. What a shame that I can't share a picture of it with you. It has to be seen to be believed.

I feel so sick.


~ Home

1 Comments:

At 12/25/2005 01:53:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

One of my coworkers took home what I didn't eat. If you want, I'll tell you where she lives. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home