web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Blood Sprayer, Bed Surprise And The Wrong Leg

Checking on a patient with blood infusing, I found a blood bath in progress. The patient was holding the blood tubing and spraying blood around like a little garden hose. You'll have to use your imagination; I didn't take a picture.

Because she also pulled out her IV line, I had to put a new one in. This wasn't easy to do with the patient having 90 something year old tissue-paper veins. Missing once, I got it in with the second try, but the one vein I had missed blew up. She was also on blood thinners, so the bloody mess just got messier. Afterwards, I got to wash her, change her diaper, linens and clean up splattered blood on the floor.

The next patient was lying in a pool of urine. She was not confused and knew exactly what she was lying in, but chose to say nothing. I suppose she was embarrassed and was hoping that no one would notice.

I got the aide to help roll her to change the sheets. As she was rolled on her side, the aide gasped and jumped back. She thought that she saw a snake. It was the woman's three foot long grey braid coiled up underneath her. Good thing it wasn't a snake, otherwise we both would have been soaked in pee as well.

Patients who have had knee replacements get CPM (continuous passive motion) machines that slowly bend the knee back and forth. One of our patients had the CPM machine on for awhile when we noticed that it was on the wrong leg.

I guess in the future we need to remind the technicians that the the CPM machines go on the leg with the dressings, staples and drain. I suppose that nothing can be taken for granted.


~ Home

1 Comments:

At 2/12/2006 09:59:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

My job can get very dull because it's usually just variations on a theme. People who have been reading my blog for awhile are probably starting to wonder if I'm just re-telling the same stories. I'm not, it's just the same old thing happening again.

The ladies braid was high enough on the bed that it didn't get soaked. I have had patients, though, that have gotten their hair soaked in pee.

Most patients in the hospital are old. The younger ones are fewer in number and also less likely to do anything blog-worthy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home