web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, February 27, 2006

The Cyanotic Bear



In order to access the oxygen lines in the walls, there needs to be a flow meter stuck in the wall. We don't have enough to go around, so decisions have to be made about who needs oxygen more, so that the flow meter can be taken from those who don't need it as much. Flow meters can't be that expensive and we've complained about this for years, but we're always short.

I'm stuck on a committee whose function is to find problems and fix them. I chose the lack of flow meters as my next project. It's not enough to have an idea, it's also necessary to come up with a model or prototype to demonstrate your idea. The photo shows the cyanotic bear. I made a nasal canula out of pipe cleaners and put it on the bear. My explanation was that we have a lot of bears in the unit who don't have oxygen when they need it. (When I went up the elevator with my bear and silly putty flow meter, a man kept staring at me like I was crazy. I am, but that's beside the point.)

I found out whose job it is to order such things, so if she doesn't buy them, my next step is to go over her head. This person is also my boss. Is it too late to choose another project?


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 2/27/2006 07:24:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

You go girlfriend, live dangerously!!

 
At 2/27/2006 07:49:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Don't worry, once you get that bitch to finally get your flow meters, RT will walk off with all your christmas trees. They like to keep a few handy for the rooms that don't have them. I suggest marking all the equipment with a sharpie with the floor, room and bed #. Do you have ambu bags in the rooms, or are they considered an unnecessary expense too?

 
At 2/27/2006 10:41:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Way to go Melissa!

 
At 2/27/2006 11:56:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

never... never... never... never... never... never... never...

 
At 2/28/2006 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Sarah, there is also a shortage of Christmas trees. I always wondered who kept stealing them. Maybe RT is stealing the flow meters as well. Ambu bags are only found on the crash cart.

Karen and Dave, thanks for your in-put. Most problems can be traced to that one person, so I probably couldn't avoid fixing her problems if I wanted to.

 
At 2/28/2006 04:44:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

So patients should bring their own flow meter with them? I was referring to the likelihood that I would ever voluntarily enter a hospital, especially that one. :)

 
At 3/01/2006 10:59:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, also don't forget to bring a Christmas tree fitting so that we can connect the tubing to the flow meter. We have even fewer of those.

 
At 3/03/2006 10:17:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I guess that's one of the good things about working ICU. Everyone is either on O2 or a vent so you have all the supplies you need, and rt rounds so they can help suction and deal with the vents.

 
At 3/03/2006 04:11:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

You mean that in ICU, you don't have to decide you needs the equipment more and take it off of patients who don't need it as much? I can't imagine what that is like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home