web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Diaper Argument

My most annoying encounter with a patient yesterday was at the beginning of the shift when I went in to introduce myself. Day shift had once again waited until the end of their shift to give a laxative suppository and the patient needed a bedpan. I lifted up the sheets and found a heavy, wet diaper. Not saying a word about it, I unfastened it and slid a bedpan under him.

A few minutes later, he used his call light. I came in the room and asked if he was done. With fire in his eyes, he said, "I was not wearing a diaper."

I had never mentioned the diaper and didn't know why this was an issue. Unsure of how to proceed, I started to answer that he was wearing a diaper.

Cutting me off in mid-sentence, he barked, "I was not wearing a diaper."

This time I said, "Okay."

He went into a long, drawn-out rant regarding why I was mistaken that he was wearing a diaper. Each time he paused, I said, "Okay." There was no point in arguing with him, it would have just added fuel to the fire. After about a dozen "okays", he was done and I left. But he was still on the bedpan.

After awhile, I went back in and asked if he was done with the bedpan. He said that he didn't know and that I would have to look. I looked and there was something in there, but how was I supposed to know if he was done? I was not going to look in his rectum and see if there was more in there. I decided to tell him that he was done and took him off the bedpan. After I did that, he asked, "Was I wearing a diaper?"

Was this a trap? I held my breath and said, "Yes."

He said, "Okay."

I asked if I could put a clean one on him. He said, "Okay."

This is where I wanted to start screaming and run from the room. What the hell was that all about?


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 3/01/2006 10:37:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Me thinks a quick trip to the psych ward in the middle of the night for this patient!

 
At 3/02/2006 08:44:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I found a post about ambulance blankets I think you'll like. :)

 
At 3/02/2006 11:56:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, it wouldn't help. He had brain damage.

Dave, I loved that post. Thanks.

I'm in danger of breaking my record of posting everyday. Blogger is broken and not taking posts. I have several written in long-hand waiting to go. Dang!

The comments still work, maybe I could just post in the comments. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home