web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Rotting To Death

Everyone who visits our floor, says the same thing. "What's that smell?" It smells like there is a putrifying dead carcass lying in the hot sun and there's not a thing that we can do about it. Our patient with gangrene is slowly rotting to death. Both of his legs are now completely black like a burnt pot roast. We keep his door closed, our door to the balcony open and we're wearing masks with tea bags inside, but the odor is still strong enough to trigger dry heaves in susceptible people.

To help deal with the stress, people have started making jokes. One nurse said to be careful handling his legs because they might fall off. (She may have been serious.) Another nurse said that the smell makes her hungry because it reminds her of her home country with dead animals lying in the road and rats rotting inside the walls.

Some painters closed the balcony door because they wanted to paint and didn't want the paint fumes to come inside the hospital. We insisted that the door stay open and yelled out to them that we love the smell of paint. We're so desperate that even paint fumes are welcome.

If a pet was allowed to suffer like this, the owner could be criminally prosecuted for animal abuse. Because this is a human, we are required to let him die a slow, natural, agonizing death. Although we are keeping him medicated, this is way beyond the help of narcotics. The moaning and groaning is also wearing us down. I hope his suffering ends soon. No one deserves to die like this.

At the beginning of the shift, I noticed that a substantial amount of morphine in his pump was unaccounted for. I doubt that the previous nurse stole it, I'm sure that she bolused him with the morphine and them erased the memory in the pump. Her heart is pure and I will not say anything. How can you fault someone who can't bare to see someone suffer and so risks her job and license to try and make a patient a little more comfortable?


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 4/14/2006 06:00:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Sad. Very sad. If that were me in that bed, I would want someone to pull the plug.

Eevery time I come to your blog I am becoming more impressed with your attitude toward your job. It is amazing what you have to deal with.

I was at the bank yesterday getting some CDs and someone came up to the bank officer while I was there and had a short conversation with him in Spanish. I speak some Spanish, but even if I didn't it would not have bothered me. If it HAD bothered me and I had complained to the manager about it, I'm sure they would have thought I was weird.

BTW, great post.

 
At 4/14/2006 09:47:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Since morphine is the clear (just like say water) it would be very easy for someone to pull the line out of the machine and let it free flow to end his suffering, of course they would have to document his vitals slowly changing, then they would just have to replace the missing amount of fluid with water. Since the rest of the morphine is considered waste it would be disposed of and not given to another patient. Of course this is illegal and we would never do anything like this. He is a DNR, isn't he?

 
At 4/14/2006 11:29:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, thanks. If we speak to patients in their own language, that is fine. But if nurses talk amongst themselves in a language that no one else can understand, it is rude. I'm getting a little tired of it myself.

Sarah, if one vial of morphine would kill him, that would work. The problem is, we would need several vials (each vile only holds 30 mg.). It would be noticed by somebody if we were using more morphine than the machine was programmed for.

He's DNR, comfort measures only. What a joke the comfort measures part is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home