web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Scared Of Bears

The patient was upset about the bears. When someone truly believes that there is a bear in the hospital, there's nothing that anyone can say or do to convince him otherwise. The nurses can take turns telling him that we don't have bears in the hospital, you can call his wife and ask her to tell him and his children can visit and also tell him that they don't see any bears hanging around, but he will still insist and be angry about the bear.

While opening an ice pack, I hit it a little too hard and it exploded with a loud boom. The scared of bears patient began screaming and cursing. I was tempted to yell, "I shot the bear", but decided against it. I wonder, though, if the night would have gone more smoothly if I had told him that there was a bear, I shot it and now the bear is dead.

I think that he's going through DT's. He claims to have stopped drinking last year, but I think that it was more like three days ago. Given the time of onset, distinct body odor, perfuse sweating, anxiety, body tremors and hallucinations, it doesn't sound like a reaction to morphine, but a lack of alcohol in his blood stream. His surgery was elective. I wonder what he thought would happen when he was cut off from the booze?


~ Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home