web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Too Pretty?

A nice old lady told me that I'm too pretty to be a nurse. She wasn't wearing her glasses and given her age, she probably just had a fuzzy image of what I look like, but it got me wondering. Is it possible for a woman to be too pretty for certain occupations? If a woman is drop-dead gorgeous (I'm not, by the way), is she expected to be a model, actress or trophy wife?


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 4/18/2006 11:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an optician, I have sold many pairs of non-prescription glasses to women who felt they were not being taken seriously because they were too pretty. (Glasses can radically alter a person's appearaance.) So, yes, I do think it is possible to be too pretty.

 
At 4/18/2006 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

yep... I agree w/ Connie. And yes... you are pretty. I don't think pretty women 'should' be treated like that... or put into a specific catagory... but not so pretty people are as well. Such is life.

How is your Murphy doing on his medication?

 
At 4/18/2006 01:49:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

If you ask me, nurses are supposed to look hot, er, pretty. ;)

 
At 4/18/2006 06:19:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Yeah well, you see that's why i take my contact lenses out and wear my glasses. I'm tired of people telling me how beautiful i am, it's such a drag...........LOL yaaaaaaaaaaaaah right like that would ever happen, i better quit this medication!!

Ahem, yes you are beautiful, and you have a beautiful personality too :)

 
At 4/18/2006 06:42:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, welcome to my blog. This thing is so addicting that I hope you realize that it's just a matter of time before you have to get your own blog.

I'm sorry to say that I have no idea what it's like to try and make myself less attractive. I've spent most of my life trying to do the exact opposite.

Madwag, thanks, but I'm photogenic. I barely resemble my photos.

Dave, would you rather be catheterized by a hot nurse or a plain one? No, don't answer that.

 
At 4/19/2006 09:57:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, thanks. LOL.

 
At 4/19/2006 11:29:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

When I was young and cute and skinny and wore makeup and dressed like a "pretty girl" no one heard a single word I said. Now that I am a plain old spinster people actually listen to what I have to say. When you put on a power suit and your grown up bling and grab your new black Prada bag people treat you differently. When I go to the medical lectures at the hospitals they all assume I am one of the doc's and no one ever questions me. (I am really just one of the plebian nurses)

 
At 4/19/2006 01:58:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Plain old spinster? That's how you view yourself? Nothing could be further from the truth.

When I wasn't taken seriously in the past, I figured that it had to do with being young and female rather than pretty. It never occurred to me that wearing glasses or dressing like a man would help. If anyone had suggested it, I would have been insulted that I had to try and seem more man-like to be taken seriously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home