web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Quick And Mean Or Slow And Nice

I picked up the phone and dialed a number. Unexpectedly, a woman answered. I panicked and hung up. No, I'm not dating a married man. I was just trying to clock in at work and instead of getting an automated male voice, I got a female one. It's just as well. I've always hated that male recording. As long as you do everything right he's okay, but if you make a mistake, he turns into a snotty, sneering bastard.

If you accidently call on the wrong line, he'll say in his snooty, arrogant tone, "You are not authorized to clock in on this line. " If your finger slips more than once while punching in the ridiculously long string of numbers, He'll chastise you in that hateful tone and say, "You have made too many mistakes. Talk to your supervisor."

I'll silently mouth a swear word or two at him, while wishing that he was with me in person so that I could strangle him. There is no need to talk in that tone of voice.

The new female recording is pleasant enough, but she talks too slowly and stumbles over some of the words. We all know the drill and get impatient waiting for her to say her lines so that we can clock in. I hate the bastard, but I kind of want him back.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 8/20/2006 07:18:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I vote for mean and fast

 
At 8/21/2006 12:36:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I've heard quite a few gripes and everyone else is voting for fast and mean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home