web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Mysterious Black Thingies

This photo is of the food drawer at work. It contains patient food like crackers, tea, instant coffee, etc. In the corner of the drawer are small black granules. What do you suppose it is? Dead bugs? Cockroach droppings? I don't know what it is, but it can't be good.




These photos were not taken on a bad day, but a typical day. I took those photos over a week ago and the little black thingies are still there. I wonder if management has planted it there so that employees will stop eating the patient food?


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 8/15/2006 05:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ew. I think those are roach droppings.

 
At 8/15/2006 07:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Granules of instant coffee perhaps? The corner piling would more indicate a spill; vermin rarely are that neat. Another thought: Pull the drawer out and check the underside of the overlying cabinet counter to see if there is any damage to the wood. In any case, blot out the stuff with a wet paper towel, and see if it reappears.

 
At 8/15/2006 08:07:00 AM, Blogger Irene said...

Other than that, the drawer looks very neat and well organized! I agree with Paul. Clean that stuff out and then see if it comes back. If it doesn't, no problem but if it does, you've got a critter :o)

 
At 8/15/2006 10:55:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Anon., we do have roaches.

Paul, but then I would have to touch those things. Ewww. They're actually scattered all throughout the drawer; they slide around and clump together when we jerk the drawer open and close.

By the way, I'm not ignoring your meow diagnostic instructions, I'm just overwhelmed by them. I'll try to get to it when I'm feeling brave. Thanks for all of the trouble you went to to send them to me.

Irene, I'll try that and monitor the results.

 
At 8/15/2006 04:58:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

It sort of looks like the spilled coffee grounds in my desk drawer.

You could try a taste test. (If it's not coffee, at least there is plenty of medical staff available.)

 
At 8/15/2006 07:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send the grounds down to the lab. It will give the techs something fun to do.

 
At 8/16/2006 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

looks like instant coffee to me.. but still gross.

 
At 8/17/2006 12:35:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, how about if I send a sample to you and have you taste it?

Lisa, the lab could tell us if it has an infection, if it is blood or if it contains narcotics. It won't tell us if it's pooh.

Madwag, I guess I could add it to hot water and give it to a patient I don't like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home