web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Dog Day Afternoon

Yesterday was a dog day afternoon. That's a good thing. Sarah brought over her four dogs and we all got to hang out together. In the picture below is Heidi. She looks a little scary in the photo with her eyes illuminated as though she is possessed, but she's a sweet girl.

The photo reminds me of a class I once was required to attend as a new nurse. The subject was on the early signs that a patient is dying. The one sign that stopped me in my tracks is if the patient comments on the black dog in the room.

This freaked me out because I imagined that instead of the grim reaper, there is a black dog of death that visits dying people. I'm not especially superstitious, religious or spiritual, so this was not something I enjoyed hearing about. A friend did an Internet search and found that black dogs and death are part of some old stories and mythology. People who are dying may see what they expect to see, whether it is a deity, deceased grandparent or a black dog. I hope that is all that it is. If I'm sick someday and see a black dog in my hospital room, I'm not going to be pleased.



This is the Murph soaking in the pond. The temperature has been cooler lately, which is a very good thing, because I don't ever want to use the air conditioner again. I got my electric bill for last month and it was over $300. That was just for electricity and was for only one month. I don't even want to talk about my record breaking water bill.

I also don't want to talk about my car insurance bill. Getting a new car caused my bill to double.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 8/13/2006 07:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch. But it IS fun to drive, right?

It's been dry here, but I haven't watered. My grass hates me. :)

 
At 8/13/2006 08:49:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

It is fun to drive, but since I can only drive one car at a time, it doesn't seem right to double the insurance.

If I didn't water, I would have just dirt, tumbleweeds and sage.

 
At 8/13/2006 11:43:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

The photos are so lovely! How interesting re the black dog, i had never heard of that before.

 
At 8/14/2006 12:14:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

the black dog thing is interesting... never heard of it...kinda spooky. My grandma saw and heard birds in her room before she died. It made her really angry.

 
At 8/14/2006 10:53:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, that was new to me as well. It still scares me a little.

Madwag, oh great. One more thing to worry about. If I see and hear birds in the room, I may be deathly ill.

 
At 3/03/2009 03:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!....congratulations for your blog!...mmm...I saw the black dog's picture, and I remember the movie "The Omen" (2006), and one black dog appears... do you know what kind/race of dog is it?...thank you. Rgards from Lima-Peru.

Cesar
cbuelot@gmail.com

 
At 12/07/2009 02:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://fyzybizuw.servetown.com/uhejal.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

 

Post a Comment

<< Home