web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Biohazard Doggie Bag


After feeding time and before the patient's trays are taken back to the kitchen, I go hunting with a baggie. Like most hunters, I'm after meat. I want my dogs to be happy and what makes dogs happy is meat.

Not that the dogs would care, but I only take food from trays that have been untouched. I don't want my dogs to get cooties.

A typical hunt will yield from one-half to one pound of meat, which makes a nice midnight snack for the boys. On nights that they serve beef stew, arroz con pollo or chicken stir fry, I come home empty-handed. The boys won't eat that crap and neither will the patients. This is food that will make even a hungry dog wince and walk away.


Usually, I bring baggies from home, but yesterday I forgot. The biohazard bag worked just fine and somehow seemed appropriate. Once I collected the meat, I put it in the fridge with the patient's food.

It's funny how a biohazard bag full of something brown can sit in a refridgerator next to trays of food and no one seemed to notice or care.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 8/07/2006 01:16:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Perhaps hospital food normally comes in biohazard bags.

(I've not had the pleasure of hospital food yet, but I hear it's right up there with the airlines.)

 
At 8/08/2006 06:54:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I've been told that our hospital food is the worst anywhere. It's highly processed tasting (I'm used to food made from scratch)and much, much worse than airline food. I encourage visitors to go across the street and bring back In-N-Out burgers for the patients.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home