web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Fooled Again

I opened the refridgerator and the door shelf collapsed, sending wine and beer bottles slamming to the floor. It was loud, but nothing broke. The next thing I heard was two loud meows from a cat in distress. My computer did that to me recently, but this was too much of a coincidence. The cat heard the crash and was calling out to me and also, the computer cat only meows once, this was twice.

I did another search for the cat and found nothing. I searched the Internet and found someone else complaining of the same problem. There must be a cat virus floating around and AOL can't detect it with their virus screens. I hope that it doesn't do anything other than meow. In the meantime the meowing is getting tiresome. Sometimes when I'm lying in bed at night, I can hear it meow. Will it ever stop?


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 7/29/2006 05:31:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Thank God the beer survived.

I learned recently not to carry a half rack by only holding one side. Those boxes aren't that sturdy. Sadly three beers perished in that incident.

 
At 7/29/2006 06:41:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

Meow.......

That would drive me nuts because I have cats and would be afraid that RBP (the kitten) was trapped someplace.

 
At 7/29/2006 10:58:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, you have my deepest sympathies.

Madwag, I don't even have cats, but it is so realistic that even I keep worrying that maybe there really is a trapped cat somewhere.

 
At 7/29/2006 12:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Is your computer left on all the time? Try: a) turning off the speakers except when you need them; or b) turn off the whole computer (and monitor) and save on the electric bill. Or do you await the "You've got mail" chime at night?

1b. Do you have any of the Windows event Sounds set as a meow?

2. Do you have an attic that has an exterior access?

3. Our 26-year old frig sometimes gets into a barking spell. It starts out just puppy-whining, then the sound gets sharper and louder. It lasts for several minutes before it is quiet again (normal running sound). For awhile we thought it was a bearing going out, but now I think that it has something to do with the compressor and the ambient temperature. When it starts growling we'll investigate getting an appropriate muzzle.

4. Try dropping something else heavy and see if the critter responds again. But if the boys don't alert then it seems unlikely to be anything corporeal.

 
At 7/29/2006 09:13:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

1. I'm too impatient to wait for the computer to warm up after turning it off. I like to leave it on. And yes, I do live for the "you got mail" anouncement.

1b. I have no idea what that means. I haven't made any changes to my knowledge.

2. No and I'm certain that it is the computer. It has done that while I'm sitting next to the speakers.

3. It's not the fridge, it's the computer.

4. The boys are getting used to the meow sound and no longer react much. When it happens, they look at the computer.

 
At 7/30/2006 12:23:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

a few positive things about your invisible cat.

1. your boys can't chase it.
2. you don't have to feed it.
3. it won't poop in your garden
4. it won't claw your curtains or furniture.
5. no smelly litter tray.
6. no vet bills

xxxx
patti

 
At 7/30/2006 08:38:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

With all of the advantages to not owning a cat I'm surprised that anyone would want one. (Just kidding.)

 
At 7/30/2006 09:59:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

If you're computer is meowing, please make sure and get it a flea collar ;-)

 
At 7/31/2006 12:09:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

lol... yes that is true... but advantages of having a cat for me are.

1. No field mice running up my curtains.
2. No rats in my garden or drinking out of my pond.
3. I don't have to walk them.
4. They don't eat much.
5. I don't have to pick up big poo in the garden...they go in the field behind our house usually.
6. They look good laying on a shelf takign a nap.
7. They purr... I like that.
8. They keep other cats out of the garden.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home