web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Pencil Problem


Every day at work, two pencils get stolen. The secretary starts her shift by unlocking the supply drawer and removing two pencils. The next day, they will be gone, like clock-work.

Last night, I found a pencil in the toilet. Maybe that's what's been happening to them, but why?

The next problem was what to do about the pencil. We weren't sure who to call. Housekeeping cleans toilets and engineering unclogs them. An argument could be made either way. One of the nurses decided to take matters into her own hands. Donning gloves, she reached into the toilet while we all watched and made ewwwwing sounds. She got it out without flooding her gloves. Who knew that nurses could get so upset about reaching in a toilet? We reach into far worse things than that everyday.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 7/28/2006 02:23:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Maybe someone squeamish (and who probably objects to teeth-pulled syringe caps) uses a pencil to flush the toilet so she doesn't have to touch anything.

What? You wanna live forever? :)

 
At 7/28/2006 06:58:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Gross.

Hi, Melissa!
Stopped by to catch up a bit. Can you believe the heatwave? Nice that it's cooling down a bit for the weekend, finally.

I saw an article on mulberries in the LA Times and totally thought of you. :)

 
At 7/28/2006 09:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would have been that nurse...because really, the water looked clean enough :)

 
At 7/29/2006 12:47:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, I hadn't thought of that. Too bad they can only go to the bathroom twice a day. :)

Mary, how nice to hear from you again. It's been awhile.

The mulberries are almost ripe and it's a bumper crop. The problem is that I think I have exhausted the topic of mulberries. What more can I say other than the usual, my tummy hurts from eating so many?

May, it was clean in appearance, but we all know what ends up in there, so we were leary.

 
At 7/31/2006 11:59:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I love your blog...a lot!!... my question is to you... what do your coworkers think of you taking pics of everything? I know here that if it is a public place like a tourist place ... no problem but if it is a more private type public place people look at me funny... some of my friends understand that I have a blog and don't mind but some people give me a weird look if I take pics of everyday things... how do you get away with it????

 
At 7/31/2006 12:22:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Patti, thanks. I explain my odd behavior by saying that when I retire, I'm going to write a book and so need to save memories. So far they're buying it, but one of my coworkers now wants me to write her life story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home