web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Needle Biter


Lately, I've been watching House, MD. Dr. House is rude, outrageous, not good looking and yet is so oddly appealing. I have no idea why I like House so much, but I do. He is just so irresistible.

On a recent episode, he used his teeth to remove the cap from a needle before giving the patient a shot. I used to work with a nurse who sometimes did that and would spit the cap in the trash can.

Would you mind if your nurse was coming at you with a needle and she removed the cap with her teeth?


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 7/27/2006 12:43:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I love House. I record each show.... it is over until next season.

 
At 7/27/2006 10:47:00 AM, Blogger beajerry said...

I can't find it now, but I read a recent blog about tv docs and how they would probably be sued in a nanosecond.

 
At 7/27/2006 12:06:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I saw that too, and wondered about it. On the one hand, it's the cap he's biting, which shouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, the bare needle is now near his face, where his breath can get on it. On the other hand (foot?), he's not wearing a mask anyway, so you're exposed to his breath, and you're near death, and he needs to do something NOW, so pulling it with his teeth is fast.

I still wouldn't like it, but I suspect it's mostly harmless. But... I am not a physician. :)

 
At 7/27/2006 07:43:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I think Dave summed it up pretty well.

 
At 7/27/2006 10:46:00 PM, Blogger Irene said...

I am also a big House fan. Never miss an episode. Smart television.

 
At 7/28/2006 12:16:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, I just discovered House, so all of the shows are new to me.

Beajerry, unlike other TV doctors, House, alone, is responsible for 40% of that fictional hospital's lawsuits. How refreshingly honest.

Dave and Alan, I wouldn't like it either.

Irene, I've only seen four episodes and am looking forward to seeing more.

 
At 7/28/2006 10:55:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

We have the end of the second season on at the moment. I love the guy, he's brilliant! The story lines are fantastic :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home