web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Flying Lizard Man

We have a patient who is about 450 pounds and is covered from neck to toe with tattoos. I was spared seeing the private area, so I can't tell you how he decorated his manly bits, but the rest of him was covered with flowers and flying lizards. Maybe they were dragons. It's hard to tell.

Anyway, he needs an MRI, but he won't fit in ours. We called around to other hospitals with open MRIs, but he won't fit in those either. I guess we're going to have to do what doctors did before MRIs were invented, guess what's wrong with him.

We have been sued in the past for lacking medical equipment for people of unusual weight, but we just bought the scales, tables or whatever was needed to resolve the lawsuits. This time there isn't anything we can do about it, MRIs don't come in larger sizes. It must be tough to be a special-order size in an off the rack world.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 7/19/2006 04:08:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I'm nor surprised that he needs an MRI. EVERYONE who weighs 450 probably needs one.

 
At 7/19/2006 02:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No open MRI's, or would that even work.

That sounds suspiciously like SoS. :)

 
At 7/19/2006 05:04:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I think I hear a line of lawyers forming...

 
At 7/20/2006 08:59:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

You should see the tattoos on people here... maybe it is my neighbourhood... but there seems to be loads of people here covered in them... head to toe. One of the dads at the school has flags and stuff all around his neck... another one has them all over his body including his face and scalp!!! He looks way freaky and scary. How sad that he is so fat that he can't fit into the MRI... GAWD!!! he must be a tank. I wonder what his tattoos would look like if he lost weight?? hmmmmm.... kinda like when you write on a balloon and it deflates... I bet it would look really weird.

 
At 7/20/2006 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, at least things worked out for him. Whatever his problem was, it went away by itself.

SoS sounds like quite a catch. Is he single? :)

The open MRIs only accomodate people under 400 pounds.

Alan, I was wondering about that too. I guess that they would have to sue G.E. and the other companies that make MRIs.

Madwag, I really don't get the tattoo thing either. I've seen shriveled tattoos on old people, it's not a pretty site.

 
At 7/21/2006 11:02:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

You know, i just don't get some people. I agree with suing/ civil action to a certain degree...really i do. But when it comes to things such as this, i reckon any lawyer who takes this up needs a smack in the head! It's not like everyone is 450, and it's a common occurance. It's a one off thing, heavens, just to have an MRI done in Australia costs $1,500, so i can't even imagine how much the machine costs.
Honestly, i'm overweight..ok not 450,that's a wee bit extreme, but still, i take responsibility for myself. What the hell ever happened to people taking ownership?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home