web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Calling Security And A Dangling Uterus

Our system at work for letting people know that they have a phone call is a little old-fashioned. We just holler. If they don't respond, we yell louder until they yell back, okay! or what?!.

I answered the phone tonight and the caller wanted to speak to our security guard, so I yelled, "Security." The guard continued to stare off into space, so I yelled even louder, "Security guard."

It was then that I noticed that the entire floor had grown quiet and everyone was looking at me. Oops. That was like yelling for help. How embarrassing.

*************************************

One of my patients has a prolapsed uterus, meaning that it is hanging out of her vagina. It looks like she is delivering a really ugly baby and the head has made its way out of the birth canal.

Normally, she stuffs it back into her vagina when it slips out, but for some reason, while she's here, she's letting it all hang out. I don't even know how it fits in her vagina, it wouldn't fit in mine. It's the size of a newborn's head. Even her vagina is hanging out of her vagina, so I guess she has a good excuse for not having sex with her husband. I wonder if that's why she has refused to get it fixed.


~ Home

12 Comments:

At 7/18/2006 06:34:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I just read your post about how you eat and it is very inspiring. I try to eat the same way. I started a year and a half ago,and I hope I never go back to the old way. I don't drink skim milk, though. I'm usually a one percenter. Sometimes a half percenter. Congratulations on your self discipline. And you look good in a bikini too. Bikinis and convertibles. You're really livin the life.

 
At 7/18/2006 07:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the sight of a prolapsed uterus, not even as big as a golf ball freaked me out either...and just like you, i have no clue how they put it back...

 
At 7/18/2006 07:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i meant "too" instead of "either". i don't know where my brain is today :)

 
At 7/18/2006 08:49:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

ew ew ew ew ew!

 
At 7/18/2006 01:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess nobody told her about kagel exercises.

 
At 7/18/2006 06:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That just made me want to cry! That's SO disgusting! What can they do for that? Remove it, I'm assuming? (the uterus, not the vagina) :)

 
At 7/18/2006 08:51:00 PM, Blogger Flea said...

OMG, my second visit and now I read about this. My first visit was the penis story LOL, I keep on copping it!! Luckily I use to work for Family Planning.
ew ew ew, poor girl (or not?)

 
At 7/19/2006 12:45:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, 1% milk is fine. If Costco sold it, I would probably drink that too.

That wasn't a bikini, Gary, but thanks. Perhaps for you, I'll pose in a real bikini. ;)

May, it must hurt. I don't know how they can stand it.

Dave, does that mean you are glad that I decided against posting a photo? I do have one.

Connie, that sure motivates me to do mine.

Lisa, they can either hoist it back up and tie it in place, do a hysterectomy or just use a device called a pessary (sp?) that is inserted in the vagina to help hold the uterus up.

Hannalie, welcome to my world. :)

 
At 7/19/2006 03:49:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

No pics of that, please. Thanks. *shudder*

 
At 7/19/2006 05:02:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I am learning about so many new things on this blog. And to reiterate other common taters, "Ew"

 
At 7/20/2006 12:12:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, if you change your mind, I could email you a photo. :)

Alan, lol at common taters. :)

 
At 7/22/2006 05:54:00 PM, Blogger HypnoKitten said...

Speaking of "commen taters", one of the olde-tyme cures for a prolapse was to stick a potato up in there and the size of the potato would keep the thing from sliding back out.

That may be mostly urban myth, though, because I believe the first time I heard it was a story about an elderly woman coming into the ER with a potato plant growing out of her woo-hoo.

-HK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home